News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I got another one!! (dial candlestick)

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, July 31, 2015, 08:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like I have another dial candlestick!!

This one ended a few hours ago, with quite a few bidders that attacked it! I nabbed it at just over $100, and my bid was just about $3 higher than the bidder under me!

The phone looks great in the auction pictures! The receiver is smashed, and the celluloid notchless dial plate is toast, but the paint is great, and the 2AB (conv. from 2AA) dial is another early one for me!

I'm thrilled with this candlestick!! Didn't someone make repro notchless dial plates? Otherwise, I think I can use a notched plate from my parts stash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221835654083
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 31, 2015, 08:28:41 PM
Didn't someone make repro notchless dial plates?

Yes, they did . . .

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11963.msg127115#msg127115

. . . and they got good reviews in that topic. Unfortunately, tom128 hasn't been on the forum since Nov 2014.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on July 31, 2015, 08:58:48 PM
Didn't someone make repro notchless dial plates?

Unfortunately, tom128 hasn't been on the forum since Nov 2014.

Dang!
If he had an email address in his profile, I would email him to see if he has any excess stock, or if he's still making them at all. I guess a #5 or 6 plate will work for now.
Those plates look nice!
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 31, 2015, 09:05:30 PM
If he had an email address in his profile, I would email him to see if he has any excess stock, or if he's still making them at all. I guess a #5 or 6 plate will work for now. Those plates look nice!

In one of the referenced topic's posts, Sargeguy said he got some from him so maybe Sargeguy might have his contact information.

poplar1

the celluloid notchless dial plate is toast

I believe that all celluloid dial number plates -- most of which are 149-type -- are notched.
It's true that the earlier 132-type number plates can be either notched or unnotched, but by 1934, when 149-type plates were introduced, these were all notched.  Probably when the dial was converted from 2AA > 2AB, the 149B number plate was added.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

the celluloid notchless dial plate is toast

What is the ID of the number plate? I was not aware that there were any celluloid notch-less 132 number plates.

Nice buy and if you have some spare parts, inexpensive to complete.

Jack

Doug Rose

Christian...I got a few from old phone man four years ago, they were superb but not cheap...$50 each, I have some plastic ones somewhere that were made with the old partyline letters on them and they look really good. I'll search for them this weekend. Great find...I was watching but lost it. Off to the yard sales....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8299.msg64306#msg64306
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 01, 2015, 07:34:45 AM
Christian...I got a few from old phone man four years ago, they were superb but not cheap...$50 each, I have some plastic ones somewhere that were made with the old partyline letters on them and they look really good. I'll search for them this weekend. Great find...I was watching but lost it. Off to the yard sales....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8299.msg64306#msg64306
Aw, sorry about outbidding you there, Doug! Don't worry, you bring home better things from a single trip to some yard sales than I do from ebay for a year! ;)

I found a dial plate on Old Phone Shop that has a vinyl overlay on it that looks notchless. It isn't raised in the center like an original notchless dial plate, but it looks better than a notched plate!

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/western-electric-2-dial-plate-notchless-laminate.html
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Rather than pay oldphoneshop $16 for a 2AE style overlay ill-fitted on a 164C number plate (from a 5302)--why not just order a notchless 2AB style overlay for $2.95 from oldphoneworks?

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/western-electric-alphanumeric-132b-overlay-for-no-2-dials-notchless.html
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on August 01, 2015, 11:18:52 AM
Rather than pay oldphoneshop $16 for a 2AE style overlay ill-fitted on a 164C number plate (from a 5302)--why not just order a notchless 2AB style overlay for $2.95 from oldphoneworks?

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/western-electric-alphanumeric-132b-overlay-for-no-2-dials-notchless.html
Well, first of all, Old Phone Shop is only a couple cities away from me. I've done business with them many times before, and shipping is incredibly cheap and it only takes a day or so for anything from them to get here. OldPhoneWorks takes a few more days, and shipping is more expensive. Second, I don't think I have any extra #6 style dial plates to fit that dial overlay, the one from OPS comes with the plate. Third, isn't the OPW overlay designed only for #2 dial plates? Or is the OPS one just the same, but fit to a plate already?
Christian Petterson

wds

I was watching that auction also - you got a great phone for a great price.  There was another phone on Ebay at about the same time with a #2 dial, with that same delamination.  That dial seemed to have a clear plastic overlay on the number plate that was peeling off - but the plate underneath looked ok.  I wonder if your dial has the same plastic cover.  I've never seen a number plate come apart like that.  Look forward to seeing some pictures after you cleaned it up a little.
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

This phone is cleaning up well!

It's very puzzling to me, how certain things on this candlestick seem to have been affected by moisture differently from eachother. The base and both cloth cords are in beautiful shape, as is most cording inside the phone, but one lone jumper conductor was covered in white mold, but conductors right next to it were completely unaffected. The stem, base, dial casing, perch, and switchhook are all in great shape with pretty much no corrosion, but the fingerwheel and transmitter cup were covered in corrosion. Both will need to be repainted. The celluloid plate (notched and not 132-styled) was destroyed from moisture, and every component in the dial has a bit of rust on it, but the dial casing has absolutely no rust or corrosion on it. Very strange.

It was shipped well, even though nothing could have been damaged during transit. It was double-boxed with at least 2 inches of packing peanuts and styrofoam in the 1st box alone!

I'll probably finish it and get after pictures by tomorrow.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

She's all done!!

Every bit of paint, with exception to the fingerwheel and transmitter cup, is original. It just needed a good polishing and cleaning; I haven't even touched anything up with a paint marker! The dial spins a little fast, but it's still a reasonable speed.

I also need to get a dial plate from OPS, so a worn 150A plate from one of my 302s is standing in for the picture. I used a spare 295A with a little age with this one; looks great alongside the aged Candlestick!
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Really nice job Chrstian.....it's a beauty....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson