News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phones that are Risky to Ship.

Started by Greg G., December 03, 2015, 01:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Reading the recent posts on "CRPF Bad Packing Awards" thread gave me an idea for a spin-off thread off phones that are particularly risky to ship due to their fragility (unless packed by a knowledgeable collector).  List the phone and the particular reason why it's risky to be shipped.  Granted, you can name any kind of phone that with poor packing can arrive in pieces, even relatively solid phones, but that's not the idea here.  The idea is for phones that are known to be particularly fragile in some way.  No pictures of damaged phones necessary, don't want to compete with the CRPF bad packing thread.

I'll start off with my entry, A Leich "Beehive" Phone.  They're heavy and the shell on these are thin and fragile and are usually the first thing to go even w/o them being shipped anywhere.  My experience in hunting for these is that there are plenty of them with damaged shells, but I challenge you to find an intact shell that needs a phone.  If you must have it shipped, the best way to ship them and have them arrive intact is to remove the shell and pack it separately in a different box.  The crank should be removed also (it's necessary to remove it to get the shell off anyway).  Both are easy to remove.  The shell is held in place by two easy-to-access screws on the bottom, and the crank can be removed by turning it counter-clockwise.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Index of Submitted Phones

Kellogg 925 Ashtray
Leich Beehive

( I will add phones to this list as they are posted so no need to worry about updating this list after posting a phone )

Greg G.

Kellogg 925 aka "Ashtray Phone" because of the indentations in the shell where the receiver and transmitter cups sit.  It's not particularly heavy, but the shell is known to be thin and fragile, and it's difficult to find one with an intact shell.  Because of the way it's assembled, the shell would not be easy to detach from the rest of it.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

andy1702

Any phone with a 'Diakon' case. It's very brittle. I've had vaious early GPO706s  arrive in pieces, even when quite well packed. It's got to the stage now where I contact anyone sending me one of these phones and specifically point out the problem and that they ned to be packed extra carefully. If at all possible I'd always advise going and collecting them in person.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

unbeldi

Kellogg used their own brand of Bakelite—they called it Kellite—to make telephone housings and handsets.

Diakon on the other hand is very different. It is not a phenol formaldehyde resin, but it is PMMA, polymethylmethacrylate, a thermoplastic polymer.  Although known already before WW-II since the mid 1930s or so, when it was first used for safety glass, I believe, it is probably best known among telephone collectors for making clear telephone parts, such as finger wheels.  Western Electric used the Lucite brand, for example.

By my readings, Diakon was not used for very long at all on the GPO sets. By ca. 1960 the telephone industry was swept by the qualities of ABS substrates.

Jim Stettler

Most WE clear 302's were made with lucite. They are still clear instead of yellowed like other clear models.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jim S. on November 19, 2016, 09:20:56 AM
Most WE clear 302's were made with lucite. They are still clear instead of yellowed like other clear models.

I believe that is correct.  If I recall, the BLR or another notable Bell publication, mentioned that little interesting aspect about the telephones displayed in Queens in 1939.  I am sure at the time it was quite a novelty idea to display a phone in clear plastic.   I don't think that even pure cellulose acetate has that "cold"-clear quality that PMMA shows.

MMikeJBenN27

When shipping a phone, you should always request "Special Handling".  It costs an extra $12.00, but that is better than having to refund the customer his money.  They put yellow "Fragile' stickers on the box, and it goes into it's own bin.

MIke

Jim Stettler

Any of the marble phones that are made with slabs of marble glued together.
You usually will have 1-2 slabs come loose. the case can  be glued back together. However the loose pieces may damage the rest of the phone.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.