News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

KELLOGG ITT 530 Select O Phone

Started by Doug Rose, March 24, 2020, 09:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is different with a not your "everyday plug" on the end. Numbers only with a switch, two lines?. Any idea what is was used for?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Gray-KELLOGG-ITT-530-Select-O-Phone-Rotary-Dial-w-RARE-5-Prong-Strip-Plug/293520315423?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Kidphone

HarrySmith

And...it's gone. Sold fast. I guess somebody knew what it was.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Not compatible with a standard telephone line, dial and ringer different.Most select o phones are earlier
sets like the 1000 series.Not easy to find. The turnkey might be wired to be a push button  if you push it

Key2871

It looked like a Jones plug, you would need a mating connector as well...
KEN

paul-f

Here are the standard Select-O-Phone jacks and plugs.

Read all about it in the TCI Library here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/selectophone/selectophoneindex.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

thanks Robby and Paul....really good information. I saw this come on eBay and was hoping is was like the Red Bar 1000 Select O Phones. I had never seen one that wasn't a Red bar.

I hesitated and made an offer with reasonable shipping, Seller immediately answered and I purchased it. I can't wait to get it.

This is the first box I will be receiving since the Virus has struck. I will open outside and put the box directly in the recycle. I will disinfect the phone as I usually do and get to it. I think I can can most of the marks off of it. I like the color and the numbers only dial.

I will get pics of the inside. This will be kept as is, just a little cleaner....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 24, 2020, 12:52:20 PM
I had never seen one that wasn't a Red bar.

Nice purchase Doug. I have a green one that was probably hiding when you were here last.  ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

countryman

As far as trustable information goes, it is unlikely to catch the virus from lifeless things. It rather travels from human to human directly. Disinfectants aren't too efficient for the same reason.
If you are in doubt, let the package sit in the sun for a week. UV light and time destroy the virus.

Doug Rose

Quote from: paul-f on March 24, 2020, 01:08:32 PM
Nice purchase Doug. I have a green one that was probably hiding when you were here last.  ;)
thanks Paul....there was just TOO much to look at my friend....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I bought a DK-530 Select-O-Phone a number of years ago: forum link.  There wasn't much inside the phone which was useful as a standard phone, so I ended up moving the shell and handset to a 1950s WE 500 base.

Larry

Doug Rose

Phone came today and it in wonderful condition. Scratches and paint came right off with a Mr Clean Pad and Brasso.

Dated 4 65

As Paul stated, it is set up like a Red Bar 1000 Select O Phone inside with the funky ringer and dial. I never knew they made Select O Phones after the Bakelite Red Bars.

Phone and handset cord are perfect, but the Line cord is very faded and stained. I could budge it will steel wool and Brasso.

All in all very happy with this. Yes I am collecting 500 sets now.

Notice the Receiver Cap has only six holes.

Jorge...this is ll your fault!....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I have seen a working Candlestick/red-bar era salesman demo Select O Phone unit .
Your phone would probably work on it .
The system can be used to turn on lamps or bells or other relay outputs. They were designed as  an automation system with voice communication included. Pretty hi-tec technology at the time.

Jim
Here is a TCI Library search link with some good paper:
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=Select+o+phone
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

david@london

Doug, as you have the original number card with the phone I'm sure you'll want to keep it.
But these more modern select-o-phone cards are interesting:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/cards/kellogg.html

HarrySmith

Very nice Doug. Cleaned up good. Have you determined the purpose of the switch yet?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

thanks David......I will stay with the  original card.

Harry ...switch turns right and back like a second line or a muted state. Just a guess, as I have no idea.

I am pleased with it..Doug
Kidphone