Main Menu

Forum Clock Problems

Started by Greg G., November 09, 2009, 05:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Is the Forium clock on Old DST and well rectify itself this weekend?.....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

You have to go into your profile and reset your time offset maually.  The forum clock does not seem to know anything about daylight/standard time changes.  At least it has not for me out here in the West.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 01, 2011, 10:56:39 AM
You have to go into your profile and reset your time offset maually.  The forum clock does not seem to know anything about daylight/standard time changes.  At least it has not for me out here in the West.
thanks Bill...that did it....>Doug
Kidphone

bingster

Forum clocks don't set the time automatically because not only does the date of the time change vary from country to country, but the time moved forward only in the Northern hemisphere.  In the Southern hemisphere, it moved back.  In addition, there are regions within some countries (like the US) that don't observe the change at all.  For that reason, it's up to members to manually change their time preference.
= DARRIN =

Bill

As a vaguely-related aside, I find it interesting that the clocks in my GPS receivers don't change automatically. We drive across the country on a regular basis, and have to change the clock manually as we cross each time zone boundary. The receiver knows where we are (obviously) to an accuracy of a few feet, so it knows when we cross the boundary. The locations and rules for time changes are simple - much simpler than some of the stupid stuff in these receivers, like games and hunting/fishing predictions - so it should be a simple thing for it to change its own clock. But it doesn't ...

Just an observation.

Bill

Phonesrfun

I've experienced the same thing.  My GPS plays dumb, while my cell phone changes when it pings a cell tower in the time zone I happen to be in.

I guess the difference is that the cell phone system broadcasts the time of day to phones within its range.  GPS satelites are broadcasting to GPS devices in many time zones. 

If the satelites broadcast a time signal based on coordinated universal time, aka Zulu, aka GMT, then the device could translate that to a friendly time based on location.  Certainly, if it can tell you where you are within a few feet, it could give you a time offset from Coordinated Universal Time.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

The Forum software does not automatically adjust for daylight savings time.  Each member will have to adjust their own "Profile" to get the current time for their area.

To do this, simply click on "Profile" at the time of the home page.

Then, on the left side of the page click on "Look and Layout Preferences".  You will see how to adjust your time, plus or minus to create the correct local time for your viewing.

In my case, being in the Eastern time zone, I enter a "2" in the space provided.  Remember to SAVE your change at the bottom of that page.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

In summation, the Forum time is constant.  Each person must adjust their profile according to their particular time zone.

~Dennis