News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Telephone Automatic Electric Sunburst Dial eBay 230673349757

Started by Doug Rose, September 21, 2011, 09:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

What makes this dial so valuable? I knew the Mercedes dial was a toughie, but the Sunburst for $960! Whoa!!! I assume this would go on a early AE stick? Is this comparable to the elusive WE #1 dial?.....thanks....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/67kxnq9
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I would expect a pretty nice phone to come with it for that price  :).  It looks like there are some parts missing from the back.

Larry

wds

I was following this auction - I was tempted at the $300 price point, but $960 seems quite high.  However, they only made those for one year?  Probably not many of them out there.
Dave

Wallphone

I rate this dial in the top three of rare dials along with the WE #1 and the BTM 7001. They only show up on eBay every couple of years. This is the dial that the finger wheel only turns clockwise, it doesn't return. That is why the finger holes are evenly spaced. A well known member of this Forum won the auction. For TCI members, there is a good article on this dial in the April 2006 Singing Wires which you can find in the archives in the Member's Area.
Doug Pav

AE_Collector

I agree with Doug....err "Other Doug"?...Wallphone/DougPav. I'd compare it to the 7001 dial for reasons tDoug mentions. I was surprised at the final price too but it is much more rare than a Mercedes dial and came just after the large 11 digit Strowger Dial and just before the more common Mercedes Dial.

Terry

paul-f

Sunburst dials are certainly among the scarcest dials.  It's even difficult to find photos of them.  One I recall is in Dooner's "Seven Decades..." on page 10.

The first three photos below are from an April 2004 auction of one in nearly new condition that sold for $596.  (Photos also seen in the SW article referenced above.)

The fourth shows some parts from another dial.  And the last two show some lettered number plates.

Of course, other places to look are Stan Swihart's book on Telephone dials and Ron Knappen's guides.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line