News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

telephone photos - david@london

Started by david@london, December 17, 2012, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Got an unexpected tube of GPO-spec polishing cream today.  Thank you very much!

Very nice phone collection and happy to have helped add to it.

Your aqua colored phones look better than mine do!  Since my dad was in the USAF, I'm partial to the one from the one air base.   :)

--Bruce   

david@london

.....you're very welcome bruce, that greygate paste is top drawer stuff for a piano black shine on bakelite.
thanks again for sending the '56 rose beige and the great packing job.....it's absolutely my favourite phone now.

david.

HarrySmith

I wonder if that is the secret to McMurdosilvers high gloss bakelite handsets?? I may have to get some!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 09, 2017, 03:47:29 PM
I wonder if that is the secret to McMurdosilvers high gloss bakelite handsets?? I may have to get some!
I doubt it would do anything for heavily handled Bakelite, honestly.

Bakelite becomes extremely porous when exposed to skin oils over time. Other than filling the microscopic pores with something to reflect the light more smoothly (like wax), there's no polish out there that can fix this.

Worn Bakelite is a different story. Bakelite that's simply worn (such as cradle areas) is easy to polish, and can often be returned to that beautiful original shine.

Bakelite housings aren't touched and handled nearly as often as handsets, so they are easy to restore. This polish might work well in that case! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Right. How does he get such a great shine? I have sent him messages asking about it but never get a reply.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 09, 2017, 04:51:40 PM
Right. How does he get such a great shine? I have sent him messages asking about it but never get a reply.
I would guess he gets his hands on some really nice phones from the start. Then, fine detail wetsands and polishes everything.

Are we sure he doesn't paint his phones, or photoshop the pictures?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

david@london

harry -

this is the stuff... greygate polishing paste no. 5. i'm not sure if it's available in america or canada.

david@london

Latest addition last year was this pink WE2500 (1970), from a seller in St Louis, Missouri.
The phone is now residing at my daughter's flat (birthday present).

It had a slight orange discolouration when I received it. I used some 20% 20 vol 6% peroxide......

LarryInMichigan

David,

That looks very nice, especially with the colour-coordinated planters.  I expect that your daughter was tickled pink to get this gift :).

Larry

Key2871

Your doing a great job at restoring those phone's!
You certainly have some nice examples there, congratulations..!

Ken
KEN

david@london

Thank you fellas.

Yea Larry, she was pretty chuffed.......now I need to sort one out for her sis.

david@london

......sorted.

My 2nd daughter's birthday is in a couple of weeks and i'll be giving her this Jan 1959 aqua 500.

It had an application of 20 vol peroxide just on the housing recently and its handset cord was given the full treatment yesterday (reversal of coils, heat, freeze).

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on April 14, 2019, 11:28:39 AM
......sorted.

My 2nd daughter's birthday is in a couple of weeks and i'll be giving her this Jan 1959 aqua 500.

It had an application of 20 vol peroxide just on the housing recently and its handset cord was given the full treatment yesterday (reversal of coils, heat, freeze).

Looking good. And it's a nice shade too. Did you find that in the UK?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

david@london

Thank you FABphones.

No - I've only ever bought one US phone from a GB seller - a manual 302. Postage can be a bit drastic having phones sent over from the States -  but worth it I think.

Looking at my list of where they all came from, I see that this one was from Harrisburg, PA.....

david@london

I received this 1966 Ivory PTT U43 yesterday.
It seems to be in nearly new condition with a few surface scratches.
All original cords and the Ecouteur receiver at the back.
Neat white feet in good shape.

I had been keeping half an eye out for one of these lovely French phones for over a year.

There is no internal ringer in the U43, does anyone have any info on the correct external one?