News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is it? -> Leich 901 Magneto Convertible

Started by KeithB, September 07, 2010, 07:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

http://tinyurl.com/25gnufj ( dead link 05-31-21 )

I haven't seen one like this before.  It seems there's a crank where the dial might be, and the back ears on the cradle are taller than those in front. 

rdelius

It is a Leich telephone.The ears are longer in back so the set could be used as a wall set. This set could be converted to a dial set with a conversion kit.
The dial opening is larger so there was a rubber gaskit to fill the gap.Automatic Electric might have taken over the production of these sets toward the end of production. Earlier sets had a metal baseplate,later bakelite. I think they started building them in the late 1940s
Robby

LarryInMichigan

These phones show up frequently on ebay and elsewhere.  I think that the starting bid is much too high on this one.

Larry

Wallphone

I agree with Larry, you used to be able to buy these all day for $10 and can still find them for that amount. There is one seller on eBay (and his wife) that take the magnetos out of these and constantly get $50 for the magneto alone. That always makes me cringe. Why would someone pay $50 for the magneto when you can get the whole phone for $10? That's what happens when you don't do your homework. The Leich phone is typically one of the most fragile Bakelite phones ever invented.
Dougpav

Dennis Markham

I seem to run into them in rural areas where Independent phone companies were used.  They do seem plentiful in antique stores.  I was in Iowa a year or so ago and stopped at several.  They each had a couple of these. 

Our family had a crank desk phone, probably late 1950's when we lived in a small farming community here in Michigan.  It must have been one of these Leich phones.

Wallphone

They are a decent looking phone with a dial. Here is a reference with the 2nd pic showing the dial adapter.
Dougpav

KeithB

Thanks, everyone.   :)

So, if used as a wall set, I presume the dial would have been on top.  It could not have been hung very high on the wall, or else the users could never see the dial very well.  :-[

LarryInMichigan

Keith,

When the phone is mounted on a wall, the dial is rotated 180 deg.  There were a number of wall phones which had their dials above the handset cradle, such as the SC 1211, Kellogg 9917, and AE 50.

Larry

paul-f

Here are several set up for wall use.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenny C

there is one here like Larrys they want 60 for it with the subset. I think thats to high
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rdelius

Those last sets are a newer series that use components that are similar to 500 set components.I think they were available in the same colors as 500 sets.I have a red set but I am missing the handset.
Robby

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 07, 2010, 08:07:01 AM
These phones show up frequently on ebay and elsewhere.  I think that the starting bid is much too high on this one.

Larry

Apparently everyone else thought the same thing.  I tuned in just in time to watch the last couple of minutes go by w/o any bids.  I hope the seller didn't pay too much for it in the first place.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on September 07, 2010, 10:22:39 AM
Here are several set up for wall use.

Are these yours?  I like the green one.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

KeithB