News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nice Vintage Dial Card Sleeve

Started by Doug Rose, September 09, 2010, 06:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won a buy it now this weekend of WE 302 manual set. eBay 290472338625. It was a buy it now for $17. Couldn't pass it up. When I came home from work, it was waiting for me. It is dated 12/37 inside and 11/37 in the elements. I was very happy. I checked out what I thought was a piece of white paper where the dial card should be. Some idiot painted over a old dial sleeve. I threw it away and came up for dinner. I kept talking about it through dinner and my wife went done to my workroom and retrieved it. "Try" she said. I couldn't remove the cards as there have been there for 72 years. So carefully, not to wet the cards or scratch the sleeve, I used goo be gone, a q-tip and the tip of a nail file. Gently moving it back and forth, adding goo be gone slowly, and wiping carefully. This was under the paint. I am amazed. About 45 minutes and it has been brought back from the dead. It looks even better than the unforgiving flash makes it look. I didn't even try to get the paint out of the perforation, I certainly don't want to ruin it now. It appears to be an old Party line dial card. Sometimes you bite the bear!....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/2urthbq
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

That's amazing, Doug.  Great story and an awesome dial card.

(Your link at the bottom of the post wasn't working...I took the liberty of putting a new link there.  Hope you don't mind).

paul-f

Janet's intuition came through again.  She must have sensed that her initial was on that card.

The F4 handset is interesting as well.

Congratulations!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bingster

Very interesting.  That's the first time I've seen the back side of one of those celluloid cards.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Quote from: paul-f on September 09, 2010, 07:43:07 PM
Janet's intuition came through again.  She must have sensed that her initial was on that card.

The F4 handset is interesting as well.

Congratulations!
Hey Paul....good call on the F4, I had never seen one. I had to go to your site and check it out. I wondered why the handset wires were soldered on the receiver element. Truly a hack job with a new cloth covered line cord with a modular clip to boot. Still, I can't complain....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e