News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Requesting identification..

Started by Sigmaz, February 25, 2018, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

Hey gang. I'm picking up these trimlines and this desk station tomorrow.
$28 for all.
But before so get there I was hoping to know what to expect.

Does anyone have any info on the desk unit?
Is it a speaker, number index, or lamp for visual ringing?
I can't imagine they had ADA regs when it was produced.

Thanks!

poplar1

I believe it is a single line speakerphone. Requires an external transformer for speakerphone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

compubit

It looks like an AE-881, but the dial isn't Automatic Electric...  Possibly Stromberg-Carlson?

If it was made by AE for SC, and they put a SC dial in it, then it does require a transformer to work as a speakerphone.

The AE version has 4 buttons: On, Off, Mute and Recall (hookswitch flash). Perhaps this one has a single on/off button (vs. 2).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

Towards the end of phones made in North America many of the key system phones were all built in the same platform...IE: they seemed almost identical. I'm referring to anything with the handset cradle on the left side like this one.

I was going to point out that the AE881 had 4 buttons rather than just three but Jim beat me to it!

AE also made the 882 key set with the standard Hold plus 9 line keys across the top and the strip of 4 buttons for the Speakerphone below that and they also made the 883 with two strips of line keys for 19 lines plus Hold and I assume the strip of 4 buttons below that but I can't recall that part for certain.

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: compubit on February 25, 2018, 11:51:16 PM
It looks like an AE-881, but the dial isn't Automatic Electric...  Possibly Stromberg-Carlson?

Well done, Jim.

It's a SC Image 2 rotary single line speakerphone.

When you pick it up, look for the small holes in the front left -- for the microphone.

If the group is from SC-territory, the other three sets are probably Slenderets, not Trimlines.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sigmaz

Wow! Thanks for the great responses guys, I really appreciate it.

Slendertte, I like that. Never heard the name before.

I changed the deal with the seller, I'm taking the desk set and 2 of the little guys as well as a 2500 series unit.

I think it's a good price @ $7 each.. but what do I know.

I'll report back when the deal is done and we can check them out together.

Thanks again for all of the info gang!

Sigmaz

Update:
Some people are total pieces of $#!+ without the ability to express common courtesy.

I messaged the woman selling these phones last night before I went to bed to let her know I'd be up and at what time, as well as what phones I wanted.
She replied "no problem" first thing this morning.
So I go to work and do what I've got to do and rush out of the office to drive 50 miles to meet this woman.
She says "okay take your time",
I then tell her when I'm 10 minutes out and she says " no problem I'll meet you at such and such a place"

I pull into the lot, she pulls in at the same time,...
I hop out of the car, she hops out of the car and then she says, "Oh I couldn't find anything but these two trim lines." (one of which look like it fell out of an airplane.)

Is it me being unreasonable to think that she had plenty of time to locate the phones and put them in the car and get them ready for our meet?

Is it me being unreasonable thinking that somewhere within the 13 hours from when I left her the first message to now she could have said "I don't know where the phones are..."

These people are ridiculous if the the fact is that she actually wanted to make more money on the phones then perhaps she should have said something maybe I would have paid more.
But she didn't.
She inconvenienced me in such a way that has now caused me to become so frustrated.

Fortunately I have an office in this region so I'll probably wander in and do some service and then leave for home.
At least the day is in a total loss, I have a glass sign from a type 11 coming tonight so that'll cheer me up.

Dammit.
Sorry guys just venting

AE_Collector

It is quite surprising how "ditzy" people are when you try to buy or sell on CL or other local online auctions. Makes eBay look like a great place!

Terry

Sigmaz

She really infuriated me.
50 miles!
Crazy... if I didn't have an office to go to I can't imagine how much more angry I'd be.

But I did get the sign and that made the day a little better...

Oh and yes, they were Slenderet's.

Babybearjs

always be sure to look at the bottom of the sets, the model number will tell the truth.... Personally, they all look like ITT phones to me....
John

Sigmaz

I didn't want to admit that I actually gave her money after the whole ordeal and screwing me out of the ones I wanted.
But yeah, I took the one phone she had on hand that was worth owning. I couldn't bring myself to just leave empty handed.
I wanted one table top and one wall mount, the speaker phone and the 2500.. and I ended up with only one table phone

The one on the far left in the photo is the unit I assume I got. Fortunately it still had the line cord attached to it.
I have no idea where I'd find that crazy proprietary connector if it had been missing.

But it does have the stylized "Slenderet" in fancy script cast in a recess on the base.
I think the base plate is made of diecast zinc? It doesn't really look like aluminum or magnesium.

I did have to adjust the arm on the ringer to get the striker to clear the bell, it was a bit tight and wouldn't chime properly.

Interesting how the center of the dial cap has a series of concentric circles and not a Bell system logo.