"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone Collect Antique Fans?

Started by BDM, July 05, 2009, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

Thanks RDPipes.

I was thinking there must have been some sort of spring or at least a grommet at the top hole to provide strain/abrasion relief because it's larger than necessary to pass a cord through and there is a small threaded hole right beside it that I thought was there for a screw to retain whatever sort of device was used.  I'm guessing the previous owner was planning on replacing the cord but never got around to it.  The plug had been cut off and the cord pulled out.  I will come up with something to protect the cord where it exits the pipe; at the very least a section of rubber hose to act as an extended grommet.

Your Westinghouse is awesome!
Cliff

RDPipes

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 08, 2022, 10:02:08 AMThanks RDPipes.

I was thinking there must have been some sort of spring or at least a grommet at the top hole to provide strain/abrasion relief because it's larger than necessary to pass a cord through and there is a small threaded hole right beside it that I thought was there for a screw to retain whatever sort of device was used.  I'm guessing the previous owner was planning on replacing the cord but never got around to it.  The plug had been cut off and the cord pulled out.  I will come up with something to protect the cord where it exits the pipe; at the very least a section of rubber hose to act as an extended grommet.

Your Westinghouse is awesome!
Yes sir, there should certainly be a rubber grommet of sorts in the hole that the cord enters and exits the rod and base.
If memory serves me right and might I say I'm almost 70 so there's no guarantee it will, LOL!
But, I believe my has a spring that's about half as long as the down rod and the cord passes through it
and the spring is crimped to it at the top.
And thank you, it's the only pedestal fan I've ever had. Back when I was collecting these were quite expensive
compared to a lot of desk fans. As you get to the older brass blade and cage fans the prices start going up drastically.
I remember selling a 1906 GE desk fan for over $1000 restored (Pictured earlier) and there's fans out there that make that sound like pocket change. Keep you're fan properly oiled with Electric Motor oil, not the red and white container of 3 in 1 but the blue and white and make sure the oscillation gear box is properly lubed and you're fan should last for quite some time.

NorthernElectric

Well, I guess I am collecting fans now.  I wanted 1 more (who am I kidding) but I bought 2 yesterday.

I have bid on a few fans in online auctions recently.  2 of them went for more than what I wanted to spend so I was outbid but I still had 1 outstanding when I visited a shop yesterday and found 1 that I wanted.  The outstanding auction bid completed last night and I won that too.

The one I picked up in the shop is a Robbins & Myers (Canada) List #1600 16" oscillator.  It's in working order but needs a new power cord and cleaning/oiling.

front.jpg

side.jpg

base.jpg   

I have tentatively IDed the auction win from the auctioneers low res photos as a Chapman & Walker Canadian import version of a Marelli Australe.  It's clearly more of a project than the R&M.  It might be incorrectly assembled and certainly needs wiring, cage, and fan blades straightened.  I will know more when it arrives in the mail.

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg 
Cliff

FABphones

I am known for not being a 'fan' (  ::)  ) of these.
That last one in particular - was it ever issued with any form of safety guard/cage?  :o
These are sooo dangerous.  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

NorthernElectric

Quote from: FABphones on May 19, 2022, 12:05:33 PMThat last one in particular - was it ever issued with any form of safety guard/cage?  :o

Yes, but the cage is missing on this one.  Here is an example of the Marelli Australe which I think mine is a Canadian version of.

Cliff

RDPipes

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 19, 2022, 11:27:58 AM...The one I picked up in the shop is a Robbins & Myers (Canada) List #1600 16" oscillator.  It's in working order but needs a new power cord and cleaning/oiling...

...I have tentatively IDed the auction win from the auctioneers low res photos as a Chapman & Walker Canadian import version of a Marelli Australe.  It's clearly more of a project than the R&M.  It might be incorrectly assembled and certainly needs wiring, cage, and fan blades straightened.  I will know more when it arrives in the mail...
The R&M is what we call a stamped steel type housing and aren't one of the easiest to work on, I wish you luck sir.
As for the other one it did at conception have a cage, probably brass and might even been nickel plated.
Someone has certainly been inside the motor housing because they put the front motor cover on upside down. Oiler should
be at the bottom. If you don't already know you can get some real nice authentic looking replacement cordage at Sundial wire online https://sundialwire.com/

NorthernElectric

Quote from: RDPipes on May 19, 2022, 12:28:18 PMSomeone has certainly been inside the motor housing because they put the front motor cover on upside down. Oiler should
be at the bottom.

From photos I have looked at it appears that some of the Marellis have oilers on the bottom, others, like the Australe, on the top.  So I don't think the housing is upside down.  I do think that the rotor might be in backwards though, because the blades appear like they might be at the wrong end.  I will get some better photos after it arrives in the mail.
Cliff

SUnset2

It's interesting that the R&M has a sticker saying that it was converted to 60 cycle power.  Can you read the original frequency stamp that has been stamped over?  When I was at the university, one of my electrical engineering professors was telling stories about how he was working in Ontario in the 1950s, converting the system from 25Hz to 60 Hz.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: SUnset2 on May 20, 2022, 01:37:29 AMIt's interesting that the R&M has a sticker saying that it was converted to 60 cycle power.  Can you read the original frequency stamp that has been stamped over?  When I was at the university, one of my electrical engineering professors was telling stories about how he was working in Ontario in the 1950s, converting the system from 25Hz to 60 Hz.
The '60' appears to have been stamped deeply and multiple times so as to obliterate what the original frequency was.  But I suspect it was most likely 25 Hz originally which I think was prevalent in most of Ontario for decades.

While reading on the subject, I learned that the last 25Hz generating equipment was shut down just 13 years ago.  It, and parts of the grid to distribute it, were maintained all those years to satisfy some large industrial customers that had large investments in 25Hz equipment,
Cliff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: david@london on May 19, 2022, 01:19:40 PM
Quote from: FABphones on May 19, 2022, 12:05:33 PMI am known for not being a 'fan' (  ::)  ) of these.
These are sooo dangerous.  :(
These fans are lovely antiques of course, but CJ is correct about the risks. Think I'd encase in extra-fine wire mesh if ever I had one in use.

I do intend to put a guard cage on it when/if I get it running.  But if I wanted a fan with a fine wire mesh cage, I could pick up a crappy modern one at a yard sale for a buck or 2.  What would be the point of owning a vintage item and then making it look like modern junk?  I'm a mature adult and this fan will never be running with children or pets present.  It will probably be extremely difficult to find an exact match for the original cage or at least the badge that was on it, but I should at least be able to get one that looks similar.
Cliff

FABphones

Quote...this fan will never be running with children or pets present...

Unfortunately such is the way of the World Wide Web - sometimes things need pointing out for those less knowing who may stumble across these pages...

:(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

SUnset2

I recall seeing covers for old fans made of a fish net like material that was used if someone wanted extra safety.

NorthernElectric

My fan from the auction arrived yesterday and my ID was bang on, a Marelli Australe imported to Canada by Chapman & Walker.  I cleaned it up a bit and straightened the blades out somewhat, but needs more work in both respects still.  I also took the armature out and reinstalled it in the correct orientation so the blade attaches to the front.  I was hoping I would be able to hook up a power cord, give it a little oil and try it out but that will have to wait.  I couldn't tell from the poor quality auction photos that the brushes and brush holders are missing.  :(  Also missing:  oiler caps, switch, base plate, and of course the cage and struts that I already knew about.

quartering-right.jpg

left.jpg

top.jpg

rear.jpg   
Cliff

RDPipes

Just to touch on a subject about fan cages here and my two cents. When I was a child about 60 some years ago parents kept fans and things of the sort out of a child's reach and we were all told about severed fingers if we would dare to stick them into a running fan. I reckon most parents actually kept an eye on their children back then and weren't too busy with their face buried in a cellphone or expected the school board to raise their children for them. I could go on about safety regulations and who and why there in place nowadays but, I'm stopping here. Just my two cents dear sirs.