"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Likes Old Clocks!!!

Started by Doug Rose, September 05, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridie

Quote from: Contempra on April 01, 2015, 10:02:12 PM

a Westclox Greenwich model S7-G 115 Volts A.C  60 CY 25 Watts...I saw many moonbeam and they are beautiful.....
The Greenwich is a stunner!  I love the dial font.
Bridget

Contempra

Quote from: Bridie on April 01, 2015, 10:38:52 PM
Quote from: Contempra on April 01, 2015, 10:02:12 PM

a Westclox Greenwich model S7-G 115 Volts A.C  60 CY 25 Watts...I saw many moonbeam and they are beautiful.....
The Greenwich is a stunner!  I love the dial font.

Thank you Bridie.. I saw a motor for mine a year ago but was too expensive.. but i keep my westclox and I hope to find a motor one day ;). have a great day Bridie.

19and41

You folks have spurred me into getting another collectible.  I just won a telechron alarm with the 2" thick square lucite body with brass feet.  I just hope I can make the lucite look like something with the surface fissuring that the older acrylic plastics get.  Their gentle steady motion have always been so pleasant to watch.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Contempra

Quote from: 19and41 on April 07, 2015, 08:24:45 PM
You folks have spurred me into getting another collectible.  I just won a telechron alarm with the 2" thick square lucite body with brass feet.  I just hope I can make the lucite look like something with the surface fissuring that the older acrylic plastics get.  Their gentle steady motion have always been so pleasant to watch.

A light fissure is easy to be repaired.. However a telechron is a quality clock...Pictures will be appreciated.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: 19and41 on April 07, 2015, 08:24:45 PM

That sounds like a Telechron Airlux.  Those are beautiful clocks, and that model is one of the most common Telechrons.  Just be careful or you may find yourself with 200+ clocks like I have.

Larry

Bill

I'm sure that most clock people know that the common Telechron H3 motor is easy to clean and re-lube when the old lube dries out and freezes the rotor. I've done it only once (in other words, I am far from an expert), but it wasn't hard, and took only an hour or so. By the way, I tried several other "fool-proof" methods first. Drill-and-fill didn't work. Drip-around-the-output-gear-shaft didn't either. Heat, immerse, and cool didn't work. But disassembly was easy. I worked from a post by henny on Feb 01, 2014 on the Telechron forum telechron.net.

So don't wait for a cheap one to show up, or buy a new one - they can be expensive! More info re my experience on request.

Bill

Bridie

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 08, 2015, 08:53:51 AM

That sounds like a Telechron Airlux.  Those are beautiful clocks, and that model is one of the most common Telechrons.  Just be careful or you may find yourself with 200+ clocks like I have.

Larry

The Airlux is gorgeous.  I can't make up my mind if it's unfortunate that I live in Canada and have no access to the wealth of reasonably-priced Telechrons there in the US or....I'm fortunate I don't have access to them and therefore can't fill my apartment with Telechrons! :D
Bridget

19and41

Just checked, and the letter carrier has it on the truck, so I'll be able to get an idea of it's shape soon.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Well, out of the box and in front of the camera..  There is fissuring in the areas exposed to the heat of operation.  there is about a 1/8th of an inch layer of haze along the top.  The alarm set doesn't seem to operate the alarm hand.  There are no chunks missing from it though.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Contempra

Quote from: 19and41 on April 08, 2015, 06:12:36 PM
Well, out of the box and in front of the camera..  There is fissuring in the areas exposed to the heat of operation.  there is about a 1/8th of an inch layer of haze along the top.  The alarm set doesn't seem to operate the alarm hand.  There are no chunks missing from it though.

I don't know for the fissure but probably needs a good cleaning on the movement if the alarm doesn't seem to operate.

19and41

i'll have a look inside shortly.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

The inside doesn't look very bad at all.  The coil looks like it has been warm for a long time, but not burned.  The alarm set shaft passes through to the front of the movement and enters a brass collared gear to engage the set gear.  The shaft rotates in the brass collar and will not rotate it's gear.  Does anyone know how the shaft and collared gear are connected?  Is it a threaded end on the shaft that might be stripped?  The clock runs, sets it's tattle tale when set while running, and the alarm arm operates fine.  The thing looks pretty good on a shelf from about 6 ft. away.
— Arthur C. Clarke