"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Likes Old Clocks!!!

Started by Doug Rose, September 05, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: JimH on December 04, 2014, 10:24:25 AM
Thanks, Larry.  I had it plugged in for a few months straight a couple of years ago, and it was fine.  It does not get hot.  I checked the cord and plug and connections and I don't see any issues. 

I have bought many clocks which came with dangerously worn/cracked cords and plenty which had badly connected replacement cords.  Some could have potentially electrocuted anyone touching the clock.  I therefore always look before plugging in anything.

I have probably mentioned this before, but there is a very helpful forum for Telechron collectors at: telechron.net/galvanic/.  There are at least a few members of this forum who also post on that one.

Be warned that clock collecting can be as addictive as phone collecting.  Don't even mention radio collecting.

Larry

Tim Mc

I've worked on a few clocks between other projects and so far have resisted further addiction.  This Dr Pepper Swihart got a new motor and cord and hangs in the home office.  It's just crusty enough to show its age, but displays well.  A couple of LED nightlight bulbs and bulb socket reducers keep it lit 'round the clock (pun intended) for only a couple of watts.

Contempra

Quote from: Tim Mc on December 06, 2014, 10:38:50 AM
I've worked on a few clocks between other projects and so far have resisted further addiction.  This Dr Pepper Swihart got a new motor and cord and hangs in the home office.  It's just crusty enough to show its age, but displays well.  A couple of LED nightlight bulbs and bulb socket reducers keep it lit 'round the clock (pun intended) for only a couple of watts.

Nice clock Tim. I have few ones..the most part are branded Westclox.

Bridie

So envious of the Telechrons!  This is the last Telechron I've bought.  The Organizer was manufactured from 1932-1938. This is a timer, and would turn on a radio plugged into the back at a pre-set time.  It is in perfect physical condition (apart from needing a cleaning)! I was extremely lucky to find it on ebay listed by a seller right here in my province.  I paid only CAD $24 shipping included!  It seems to work perfectly but I need to give it a good cleaning and oiling before running it for an extended period of time.  This is by far my favourite so far.

Bridget

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Bridie on March 31, 2015, 10:04:10 AM
So envious of the Telechrons!  This is the last Telechron I've bought.  The Organizer was manufactured from 1932-1938. This is a timer, and would turn on a radio plugged into the back at a pre-set time.  It is in perfect physical condition (apart from needing a cleaning)! I was extremely lucky to find it on ebay listed by a seller right here in my province.  I paid only CAD $24 shipping included!  It seems to work perfectly but I need to give it a good cleaning and oiling before running it for an extended period of time.  This is by far my favourite so far.

Bridget,

It looks like you got a good deal on that clock.  Now you have to get the rest of the Telechron radio timer clocks :).   I see what looks like the remnants of a CSA sticker on the back of your clock which would indicate that it was originally sold in Canada.  Telechron did assemble at least some clocks in Canada with different model numbers, but perhaps not these models.  I have a Canadian Telechron 20H2, which is a 2H02 Epicure, hanging on my kitchen wall now.

Larry

Bridie

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 31, 2015, 10:20:16 AM
It looks like you got a good deal on that clock.  Now you have to get the rest of the Telechron radio timer clocks :) .   I see what looks like the remnants of a CSA sticker on the back of your clock which would indicate that it was originally sold in Canada.  Telechron did assemble at least some clocks in Canada with different model numbers, but perhaps not these models.  I have a Canadian Telechron 20H2, which is a 2H02 Epicure, hanging on my kitchen wall now.

Larry

Yeah no joke, I seriously will have to collect the rest of the timer clocks :)  I doubt I'd be lucky enough to get as good a deal as I got on the Organizer; that was a rare occurrence.  Would love to get my hands on the Controlla!  Your wall clock is absolutely lovely, and goes perfectly with the wallpaper.  You need to collect them in every colour! :D
Bridget

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Bridie on March 31, 2015, 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 31, 2015, 10:20:16 AM
It looks like you got a good deal on that clock.  Now you have to get the rest of the Telechron radio timer clocks :) .   I see what looks like the remnants of a CSA sticker on the back of your clock which would indicate that it was originally sold in Canada.  Telechron did assemble at least some clocks in Canada with different model numbers, but perhaps not these models.  I have a Canadian Telechron 20H2, which is a 2H02 Epicure, hanging on my kitchen wall now.

Larry

Yeah no joke, I seriously will have to collect the rest of the timer clocks :)  I doubt I'd be lucky enough to get as good a deal as I got on the Organizer; that was a rare occurrence.  Would love to get my hands on the Controlla!  Your wall clock is absolutely lovely, and goes perfectly with the wallpaper.  You need to collect them in every colour! :D

The easiest one to get is the 8H55 Selector.  They are everywhere.  They should not have to cost more than about $18 before shipping.  I know that shipping almost anything to Canada is insanely expensive.

Larry

Bridie

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 31, 2015, 11:09:34 AM
The easiest one to get is the 8H55 Selector.  They are everywhere.  They should not have to cost more than about $18 before shipping.  I know that shipping almost anything to Canada is insanely expensive.
Larry

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  The Telechron website says this of the Selector:  "Don't pay alot for this clock.  Another will be for sale any minute now...." :)
Bridget

Contempra

Quote from: Bridie on March 31, 2015, 10:04:10 AM

Use only clock oil and no watch oil.....don't use something with teflon or WD-40...

LarryInMichigan

The top cause of dial damage on these clocks is over-oiling. The oil leaks out onto the dial and ruins it.

Larry

Contempra

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 31, 2015, 05:11:16 PM
The top cause of dial damage on these clocks is over-oiling. The oil leaks out onto the dial and ruins it.

Larry

Exact Larry and that is the samething for the watches.

Bridie

Quote from: Contempra on March 31, 2015, 01:52:05 PM

Use only clock oil and no watch oil.....don't use something with teflon or WD-40...

Absolutely.  I tracked down a shop here in Halifax that sells clock oil.  They also repair and restore clocks.  I've been trying to get in there to pick up some oil but we've had one storm after another the past couple of months.  I had to unplug my Airlux on the mantle, as I was concerned it might be running dry. :(
Bridget

Contempra

Quote from: Bridie on April 01, 2015, 08:41:06 PM
Quote from: Contempra on March 31, 2015, 01:52:05 PM

Absolutely.  I tracked down a shop here in Halifax that sells clock oil.  They also repair and restore clocks.  I've been trying to get in there to pick up some oil but we've had one storm after another the past couple of months.  I had to unplug my Airlux on the mantle, as I was concerned it might be running dry. :(

I understand.. i have an old electric westclox and I didn't pay attention. using the oil for watch is not good and unfortunately i need a motor for it :(

Bridie

Quote from: Contempra on April 01, 2015, 08:49:25 PM

I understand.. i have an old electric westclox and I didn't pay attention. using the oil for watch is not good and unfortunately i need a motor for it :(

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that :(  Westclox are lovely.  I have a Moonbeam but unfortunately it took a tumble a couple of weeks ago :( I don't even know if it worked to begin with, since the cord was in such bad shape I hadn't tested it since buying it.  What model is your Westclox?
Bridget

Contempra

Quote from: Bridie on April 01, 2015, 09:02:09 PM
Quote from: Contempra on April 01, 2015, 08:49:25 PM

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that :(  Westclox are lovely.  I have a Moonbeam but unfortunately it took a tumble a couple of weeks ago :( I don't even know if it worked to begin with, since the cord was in such bad shape I hadn't tested it since buying it.  What model is your Westclox?

a Westclox Greenwich model S7-G 115 Volts A.C  60 CY 25 Watts...I saw many moonbeam and they are beautiful.....