News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Likes Old Clocks!!!

Started by Doug Rose, September 05, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I think mine is the 4H12 The Candlelight. I had the 6B10 The Hearth which had a black bakelite around the bottom a few years ago. It went in a phone trade as I remember....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

According to the telechron.net site, the 4H12 is not a chiming clock.  The 6B10 is the strike version.

Larry

rp2813

4H12 works for me!  I know just enough about Telechron/GE clocks to be dangerous and was concerned that the 6B10 might not use an H type rotor.
Ralph

Bill

Old clocks? This one is a bit different. It is a long-case clock, made in the late 1700s in England. Believe it or not, my wife and I picked it out of snowbank in Nashua, New Hampshire, on a cold January midnight in about 1985, just a few hours before the trash truck would have taken it away. The owners - people we knew, as it turned out - bought it in an antique shop in London in the 1950s and brought it home. However, they were unable to keep it running, got disgusted, and tossed it. At the time, one of my friends was a skilled mechanical engineer who volunteered to look it over - and it has run ever since, chimes and all.

It needs some case work that I will probably never do. But it is fun!

Bill

Doug Rose

Bill....wonderful clock....great story. Sometimes the story behind the item as as important as the item itself. What a marvelous find!...Doug
Kidphone

bigdaddylove

Wow, you mid-west and east cost folk seem to find all the goodies! Why can't I find stuff like that on the west coast?

I need some peanut butter 'cause I'm hella jelly!  ;D Great find and story, Bill.

LarryInMichigan

There isn't all that much in the mid-west.  Most of the good antiques are in Mass. and Maine.

rp2813

I just won one of these on ebay over the weekend.  The Picardy, model 6B05.  It measures about 12" across.  It keeps time and the striker mechanism also works, although in the poorly designed and hopelessly flawed way that nearly all older Telechron striker mechanisms do:  Always one strike short of the actual hour.  There is no easy or proven fix, so I may disable the striker.  
Ralph

LarryInMichigan

Very nice 1930s clock!  It's easy to become addicted to Telechron clocks, Hammonds as well. These clocks use the B rotors.  Replacement refurbished B rotors run about $90, so you want to keep the movement clean and oiled.

Larry

bakerbrett741

Ronson touch tip lighter with small watch face

bakerbrett741

I don't own this as it has a price of 550.00 I can't afford that rite now. I love clocks you don't have to put a battery in

benhutcherson

I'm not a clock guy, although I am a proud member of the NAWCC as well  as a couple of different NAWCC chapters(Kentucky Thoroughbreds ch. 140, Early American Watch Club ch. 149).

I do, however, have a couple of decent clocks-a Seth Thomas 30 hour Ogee from the 1860s that stays within a minute as long as I can remember to wind it, and a couple of 8 day time strikes in various styles.

Doug Rose

I have decided to sell this beauty as we just have no room for it. My loss is your gain.....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300605783947
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I picked up this clock at the flea market this week.  

It is a Telechron 8B05, which is supposedly rather rare and valuable.  The clock is about 6.5" tall and made of ivory Plaskon, which is in mostly excellent condition.  It was reportedly made between 1934 and 1936.  The rotor was stuck when I got it, but I cut it open and cleaned it.  I cleaned and oiled everything as needed and replaced the missing light bulb and cord, and the clock is running well now.  I saw that one of these in worse condition sold on ebay a few months ago for $311.

Larry

jsowers

Larry, that Plaskon Telechron clock is in such pristine condition. I don't doubt your figure on how much it's worth. Radios from that era made of Plaskon are out of sight. The light part intrigues me, and I hope you replaced the light with the same type and not something hotter, because I would worry about the plastic melting from the heat. If you can leave the light turned off, that might be better on the 75-year-old plastic. That thing must've sat in a box most of its life to be that nice.

What is the dial that's set on 50? Is that a thermometer or something else?
Jonathan