News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lime green SC

Started by bushman, March 04, 2011, 08:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I just found this one on craigslist. I think it will clean up really nice. Unfortunately I will need to locate another dial assembly for it. The existing one is actually been broken. Everything inside is dated late 79 and early 80.

Bushman

Dan

Whatcha pay? I have one on my desk at work (we have the office decorated in st Patricks Day garb ) and the girls couldn't believe it was an actual real color.

Beautiful find!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bushman

It was $15.00. And he held it until I could make out to his place. Really nice guy, and really suprised that anyone would collect telephones.

Bushman

Dennis Markham

Bushman, get some photos of the dial---how it mounts to the bezel. I have some #9 dials.  If I have one that fits, it's yours.  Mine are all Western Electric, but should mount right to the bezel.  

Dan

dennis is the fingerwhell off kilter or an you see something is wrong with his dial? Just curious?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

GG

Have you ever repaired dials before? 

If you can take pictures of the dial, front & back with the dust cover removed, I'll bet some folks here can troubleshoot it and figure out if it can be fixed. 

Be careful getting the fingerwheel off, it appears to be halfway off the spider and may be jammed. 

Also be careful getting the numberplate off: first remove fingerstop, next locate the locking ring assembly just inside the hole in the center of the numberplate.  That locking ring can be nudged with your choice of tools, to rotate slightly, thereby releasing the numberplate.  The numberplate is also held in position by two plastic round tabs that fit into holes in the chassis, so don't twist it when trying to get it off or those will break. 

More later if you post pictures. 

bushman

Good eye on the fingerwheel. It is just sitting there right now. The dial actually has part of the pot metal broken away on the back so the dial never stops turning. I found the pieces inside the phone when I first opened it up. I will check and see but I think I have an SC 9c dial in my parts box.

Bushman

Dennis Markham

Ok Bushman.  I just thought I'd mention I have some extra dials from this time period of you need one.  Dan, I was referring to Bushman's comment that he needed a new dial.  I didn't even notice that the finger wheel was not positioned properly.

bushman

Thanks for the offer, and I may still need to take you up on that after I check my parts.

Bushman

GG

The #9 dial chassis were made of pressed steel rather than die cast metal, so if the piece that's floating around in the box is a shiny color, it's possible that it's the dial return stop tab.  But if it's a dull metal color chances are it's something else, possibly part of the ringer if that set has an older ringer in it (the metal volume control suggests that; at least ITT went to plastic volume controls when they started using pressed rather than cast ringer frames).   It would take quite a bit of torque to break off the return stop tab, and you'd see other signs of damage as well, so I'm thinking the trouble is caused by something else.

If Dennis is offering to sell/give/trade you a #9 dial assembly, I'd say take him up on the offer.  If you've done dial repair you should be able to swap the number plate easily; or if not, someone can probably talk you through the process or point to instructions.   That phone has already been through someone's refurb process and may be a mongrel anyway, so it won't hurt if the dial isn't SC. 

bushman

Ok the Lime green SC is done now.  The dial was a broken stop tab. I actually found another SC 9C dial I was able to use in it. 

Bushman

twocvbloke

I think I saw a similar phone on ebayUK last September or October, definitely a loud phone, both colour and ringer-wise.... :D

I did briefly think about bidding, but it was about the same time I found my black WE500, and I wanted the WE phone, so the green thing went unsold and I never saw it relisted... :(