"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any help? I need some advice

Started by conster, February 15, 2012, 11:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: conster on February 18, 2012, 01:55:45 AM
Alright, I finally got a picture of the inside. I'm not sure what to think of it though...

Looks pretty good. Everything is there except for the switch contacts which would be located in the lower third of the cover. Try pointing that out, and see if you can get a price reduction. Note: It is rare to find one which still has its switch or its contacts. But it could be used as a way to get the price negotiated down. I was very fortunate with mine that it had the contacts still in it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

conster

Seems like he has another one, this one has the original button correct? It looks a little different on the inside though...

DavePEI

Quote from: conster on February 18, 2012, 08:27:42 PM
Seems like he has another one, this one has the original button correct? It looks a little different on the inside though...

No, it doesn't. It does have a non-moveable button for show, but lacks the interior contacts. See the thread I pointed out earlier, and it will show you what the contacts look like.

It is rare to see one of these phones with the original contacts.

The only thing different inside is this one has the transformer added to these when they were made into intercoms. These are not original, and you would want to remove it. See the center of the photo.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

conster

Thank you so much Dave, your really knowledgeable. If you were me, which phone would you rather out of the two?

DavePEI

Quote from: conster on February 18, 2012, 10:01:35 PM
Thank you so much Dave, your really knowledgeable. If you were me, which phone would you rather out of the two?
Well, it would be a very close call, once you subtract the transformer in the one, but I would give a slight advantage to the second, as it does have a "look-like" button on the door, so if you were never to find contacts for the phone, it would still display as though the the switch was in the phone - also, it doesn't seem to have the mounting holes which would be present on the first phone if the doorbell button was taken off...

To help you make a final determination, when you go to look at them, take the receiver off the hook on each of them, and give the dial a crank to see which of the phones has the best dial. That should help you decide.

Just my opinion.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001