News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How Old Is My G1 Handset?

Started by rp2813, March 17, 2010, 01:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I was able to get the transmitter element out of the cap before I posted the reply, but forgot to edit it out. I've since removed the reference to the stuck element. I rapped it on my palm and it popped out.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

The phone is marked Western Electric, and appears that it is all original, as all numbers match except the handset which is dated 64, but still has all matching element dates, to the body of the phone. So maybe a rebuilder, changed the handset, and kept the elements from the old handset ?
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 17, 2010, 08:14:20 PM
I was able to get the transmitter element out of the cap before I posted the reply, but forgot to edit it out. I've since removed the reference to the stuck element. I rapped it on my palm and it popped out.
D/P

So it wasn't the adaptor (must of been spit), Look up those photos I mentioned, They are really good

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 17, 2010, 08:20:51 PM
The phone is marked Western Electric, and appears that it is all original, as all numbers match except the handset which is dated 64, but still has all matching element dates, to the body of the phone. So maybe a rebuilder, changed the handset, and kept the elements from the old handset ?
D/P

An installer may have swapped the handset plastic if it was the only thing damaged. I have a soft red with a "dog bone" handset.(the dog thought the handset was a bone).
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Jim S. on March 17, 2010, 08:26:06 PM
D/P

So it wasn't the adaptor (must of been spit), Look up those photos I mentioned, They are really good

Jim

Jim;
Is that why it sprung back like it was hooked to a rubber band ?
D/P

Phonesrfun

I also remember when zuperdee was creating his information.  In fact, I sent in an observation to him that I seem to recall he placed in his document, but I don't recall what that was.  

A few months ago I tried to raise him by e-mail and I got no reply.  Dennis Markham told me he remembered that zuperdee was originally working on the project for a college paper.

That white star is on a few phones I have too, and I am told that it was a refurbisher's mark, like others have also said.  I don't know but it could have been an independant or a contract vendor that did it as opposed at a WE factory.  I have only seen that mark on WE phones, but that does not mean that the are only to be found on WE phones.

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 17, 2010, 09:23:25 PM
I also remember when zuperdee was creating his information.  In fact, I sent in an observation to him that I seem to recall he placed in his document, but I don't recall what that was.  

A few months ago I tried to raise him by e-mail and I got no reply.  Dennis Markham told me he remembered that zuperdee was originally working on the project for a college paper.

That white star is on a few phones I have too, and I am told that it was a refurbisher's mark, like others have also said.  I don't know but it could have been an independant or a contract vendor that did it as opposed at a WE factory.  I have only seen that mark on WE phones, but that does not mean that the are only to be found on WE phones.

All Refeance I have seen to the mark, and Also I have seen have neen on We phones, mainly 302's, But I think some 500's. I have heard it called a refurbersher mark in the past.

I think that this is a "best" guess by collectors. The part of it being a "contract" refurber is a guess by me. Has anyone ever found it on another brand of telephone?
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 17, 2010, 09:16:57 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on March 17, 2010, 08:26:06 PM
D/P

Jim

Jim;
Is that why it sprung back like it was hooked to a rubber band ?
D/P

Why do you think they hired telephone sanitizers?
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Jim (and others), if I remember correctly Mr. Zuperdee was doing a college project to gather this information.  He was working with several of the collectors, I believe including Paul Fassbender and perhaps some of the other senior collectors---I don't remember them all.  So this was a project that often was posted during the creation stage to the membership of the clubs to ask for input.  In fact in some of the early editions he had question marks after some of the info and also had notes to himself to check on certain "facts" that he had written. 

So I think it is a good guide, but may not be 100% factual.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 17, 2010, 11:39:50 PM
Jim (and others), if I remember correctly Mr. Zuperdee was doing a college project to gather this information.  He was working with several of the collectors, I believe including Paul Fassbender and perhaps some of the other senior collectors---I don't remember them all.  So this was a project that often was posted during the creation stage to the membership of the clubs to ask for input.  In fact in some of the early editions he had question marks after some of the info and also had notes to himself to check on certain "facts" that he had written. 

So I think it is a good guide, but may not be 100% factual.

Paul F and Vern P both helped him (a lot). I threw in a couple of minor tidbits but nothing major. I think quite a few other collectors also sent some tidbits of info.

I was thinking the webpage was a side project, or at least the publication of it was.

Jim
You live, You learn,

rp2813

I re-examined all three of my G1's with molded retainer.  The one I thought was from 1954 is actually dated 9/56.  That's the only one with a readable date.  The one on my 10/50 phone has a very faded 12 in vermillion, but the year isn't visible.  It's so far off to the side of the flat area below the receiver element, I don't think there was enough room for the year.  Inside the transmitter end is what appears to be a bullseye sort of thing in white paint.  The handset I just bought has no dates at all.  In the receiver end, there is a "6-5" stamped in the flat area, but it's not inside a hatchmarked circle and clearly they wouldn't have still been producing this type of handset in 1965. 

Also, on futher examination I've realized that the handset on my 10/50 was painted black at some point.  The Western Electric logo on the handset isn't crisp like on my unpainted ones, and the paint is worn off where the handset hits the plungers.

So now I'm wondering, do I change out that painted handset (paint is worn off the spine on the lower half of it too) with the one I just bought?  The painted one has chips and scratches in the paint but does have a nice shine to it where the paint is still good.  The undated handset looks dull in comparison, but not any worse than most bakelite G1's look.  I've used scrubbing bubbles, toothpaste, and various polishes and I think it's as good as it's going to get.   I want the nicest handset on my 10/50 and I'm having trouble deciding.  The 9/56 handset will stay on the 7/54 phone since that one is the latest dated one of the three 500's I have that qualify for this earlier type.

Any suggestions or input regarding painted handsets?  Don't suggest pix.  I still haven't replaced my lost camera.
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Ralph;
I'm looking for October dated 500 parts from the 50's. So if you decide to get rid of that handset, keep me in mind please.
My ultimate goal is to get one of each year 50-59 with October dates.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Ralph, that 6-5, is that engraved in the Bakelite or stamped with red vermilion?  Normally that would mean June of 1955.  Usually they are embossed into the Bakelite.  Most I have seen are from 1955.

rp2813

Dennis, the "6-5" is an impression in the bakelite.  In other words, the characters are not raised as with the hatchmarked circle type of dating.

Regarding the handset on my 10/50 phone, no matter what type of lighting I use, I can't find anything more than the seriously faded vermillion "12" in the flat area inside the receiver end.  Maybe just the vermillion is a clue to its age?

Dan, I may have some October dated handset elements that I'm not attached to, so I'll check and let you know.  PM me if you have specific ones you're looking for.
Ralph

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rp2813 on March 18, 2010, 03:43:13 PM
I re-examined all three of my G1's with molded retainer.  The one I thought was from 1954 is actually dated 9/56.  That's the only one with a readable date.  The one on my 10/50 phone has a very faded 12 in vermillion, but the year isn't visible.  It's so far off to the side of the flat area below the receiver element, I don't think there was enough room for the year.  Inside the transmitter end is what appears to be a bullseye sort of thing in white paint.  The handset I just bought has no dates at all.  In the receiver end, there is a "6-5" stamped in the flat area, but it's not inside a hatchmarked circle and clearly they wouldn't have still been producing this type of handset in 1965. 

Also, on futher examination I've realized that the handset on my 10/50 was painted black at some point.  The Western Electric logo on the handset isn't crisp like on my unpainted ones, and the paint is worn off where the handset hits the plungers.

So now I'm wondering, do I change out that painted handset (paint is worn off the spine on the lower half of it too) with the one I just bought?  The painted one has chips and scratches in the paint but does have a nice shine to it where the paint is still good.  The undated handset looks dull in comparison, but not any worse than most bakelite G1's look.  I've used scrubbing bubbles, toothpaste, and various polishes and I think it's as good as it's going to get.   I want the nicest handset on my 10/50 and I'm having trouble deciding.  The 9/56 handset will stay on the 7/54 phone since that one is the latest dated one of the three 500's I have that qualify for this earlier type.

Any suggestions or input regarding painted handsets?  Don't suggest pix.  I still haven't replaced my lost camera.

Magnolia Glazit is a spray-on, wipe off telephone polish that will make bakelite really shiny black, no effort required.
Jim
You live, You learn,