Started by Kenny C, March 29, 2010, 04:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I saw one at a flea market and let it pass should I go back and get it
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

What color was it?  Black ones are not very rare, but if the seller was only asking a few dollars, and it is in good condition, it might be worth it.

Larry

Jim Stettler

I would say a 1953 is worth having if it is cheap enough. It is probably the easiest to get of early date 500's.
In good condition $20-30 is cheap enough for a first 1953. This is assuming that it hasn't been refurbed to much.

JMO

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

33 dollars is what he wants and i only saw 2 refurb. dates
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

is it possible it could be a 5302 I know what they look like but i forgot to look and see
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on March 29, 2010, 08:10:13 PM
is it possible it could be a 5302 I know what they look like but i forgot to look and see

Yes, it is possible.  I saw one on ebay a while back and the seller, although familiar with the dates on the bottoms of 500s, was not familiar with 5302s, so he described it as a "Feb 53" 500 set.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Depending on the price, I would grab it even if it's a boring ol' black one.  I got mine with a lot of 5 phones and it came to only $11.25.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rp2813

A quick visual check will reveal whether it's a 5302 or not.  The back end  doesn't bump out past the cradle like on a 500.  The handset cord enters the chassis through the back end of the left side rather than in the middle, and the reverse is true of the mounting cord entrance, which is in the middle of the back side rather than in the right rear as on a 500.

$33 seems high regardless of which model the phone is, unless it's in phenomenal shape.
Ralph

Kenny C

i think it was a 5302 but i am not sure  but if it is still in there i am gonna get it because I've got the money and I've got the time
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

I didn't see your price post before.  Frankly, I would hold off.  Like rp2813 said, $33 is a bit high, especially if it's a black one.  There will be others, they aren't that rare.  But if it's a colored 5302, then $33 is a bargain.  Try Craigslist in your area also.  Antique stores tend to be overpriced on most everything.  I'll pass on the best bit of advice that I received when I started phone collecting:

"Phones are not gold!" 
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Keeny;
I agree with Brinybay, as far as 5302, but in the event it was a 500, I would consider buying it but not at $33.00, more like 20 or less, preferably much less.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

dencins

Looks like a 5302 to me.  302 footpads, the limited picture of the bottom shows the place where the ringer bracket is mounted and the back looks short.  Dial is probably a #6 with dots.

Dennis

Greg G.

Quote from: dencins on March 31, 2010, 04:38:47 PM
Looks like a 5302 to me.  302 footpads, the limited picture of the bottom shows the place where the ringer bracket is mounted and the back looks short.  Dial is probably a #6 with dots.

Dennis

Where are you seeing the pictures?  He hasn't posted any.  I posted some of mine as an example.
- Mike Row
e