News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

G3 handset identification

Started by princessphone, January 04, 2015, 12:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

Can someone clarify a couple of unimportant things for me?
About half of my princesses have marked on inside of handset "Bell System Property  Not for Sale  Western Electric". The other half are marked "Western Electric  Made in USA  G3". Are both considered G3's or is there a subtel difference?
Also (in re to non- modular princesses) the rubber grommet through which the handset curly cord protrudes from the handset is a bit tapered on most of my princesses. Was this unique to the princesses or were these also used on other WE phones. Most other WE phones like the 500's that I've seen, have straight cylindrical grommets.

Doug Rose

If Bell System is not on the handset, the phones went to the Independents. This happend with 302s with F1s as well as the G3s on the later phones....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

"Bell System Property - Nor for Sale" was used beginning in about 1968.

See:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1404.0

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Evolution

Handsets may be G3 if hardwired or G15 if modular.

for other variations, see:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Handsets
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Unlike the F-type handsets, there was no mention of "Bell System" on G1- or pre-1968 G3-type handsets. Starting in 1968, the G-type handsets sold to independents were marked "Western Electric" and, as stated, those for Bell companies were marked "Bell System Property" until late 1982. The late '82 and most '83 handsets, including those for retail sets, had "Western Electric" along with a bell icon (American Bell) and the late '83 and later handsets were marked "AT&T." Western Electric was renamed AT&T Technologies 1-1-84 at Divestiture, and they were no longer allowed to use "Bell" on their products, other than the "embedded base" leased phones that they could continue to reissue with Bell markings).

At some point, the grommet design on H4CJ "receiver cords" changed to a tapered design for all sets with G3A handsets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JFKFP

Hello,

I've just bought a white telephone dated 2/1963, I'm wondering if the handset is from 1963, can you help me?

Thanks.

G-Man

Have you had an opportunity to check the dates inside of the handset?

JFKFP

No, I haven't received the phone yet. Where is the date?

JFKFP

I found this:

Handset: black sets: G1 bakelite (1949) > G3 plastic (phased in 1962-65) > G15 modular (~1972)

It's hard to get a phone with all the dates that match.  :)

G-Man

You need to look inside of the handset so you can view the manufacturing dates. Otherwise, unless someone is clairvoyant, it is not possible to know when it was manufactured by just looking at its outside.

paul-f

Quote from: JFKFP on September 17, 2023, 12:52:26 PMNo, I haven't received the phone yet. Where is the date?
Here's a photo of a nicely marked 1954 G1 handset, showing dates on the various components. The handle date is in the receiver cavity. Plastic handles were typically marked with the last two digits of the year molded into the handle inside a circle.

All the parts were easily replaceable, so it's typical to find mixed dates.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

MMikeJBenN27

The tapered grommet came out in about 1965.  The "Bell System Property, Not For Sale" started being used in about 1968, if my memory is correct.  As for the pre 68 handsets, Western Electric Company or just Western Electric, but no "Bell System" means that it was sold to an independent non-Bell operating company.  F1s said F1W, G types didn't say that on the handset, but the base plate had a W after the model number, such as 591W.  At least that's the way I remember it.

Mike

JFKFP

Cleaning of the handset no trace of the sticker, well, the mechanism and dial date from early 1963, but the hull and handset date from early 1964.

JFKFP

It's finished!

JFKFP

It's beautiful, but UPS broke it in transit, given the condition of the box.

Pourme

~

I know the feeling when you complete a project. Congrats on your new phone!
I love a white phone Enjoy, now on to the next one!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service