"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Box of phone stuff

Started by Greg G., April 12, 2015, 03:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: Brinybay on April 13, 2015, 03:18:09 PM
Here are the pics.  I thought he said there were some dials, but maybe he said "no dial" in the case. 

3 real handsets.
1 toy handset.
1 case, maybe for a 302.
1 receiver shell, no cap.
1 black coiled cord (looks like it's modular).
1 cord with a jack.

The receiver shell I can use, just need a cap.  The painted yellow handset appears to be an F1, but there's no markings on it.  The other non-painted handset doesn't have any markings either, and the receiver cap only has 4 holes.  The 302(?) shell appears to be metal.

The black unpainted handset (photo 4, 5) is a Stromberg-Carlson No. 20 handset, used on the 1243, and siblings, and on the early 1443 types.

unbeldi

I seem to detect that the metal housing has an H1 mounting code stamp on the outside above the cord exit in the rear.

If this is correct, then this housing is from late 1937 to the middle or Fall of 1938.
If I am mistaken, you might find a housing date stamped into the metal inside on the rear wall, encoded in a 3 or 4 digit/letter combination.

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on April 15, 2015, 08:25:09 PM
I seem to detect that the metal housing has an H1 mounting code stamp on the outside above the cord exit in the rear.

If this is correct, then this housing is from late 1937 to the middle or Fall of 1938.
If I am mistaken, you might find a housing date stamped into the metal inside on the rear wall, encoded in a 3 or 4 digit/letter combination.

I got the parts a couple days ago. You're not mistaken.  I rubbed some white-out into the marking on the back to give it some contrast, it's H1.  Also on the inside there is the letter/number combination, C252, not sure if that's the date or not. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The handsets, not sure what they are.  No markings on them.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

Black one SC,used mostly on 1243 sets.Painted one North electric

unbeldi

Quote from: Brinybay on October 19, 2015, 12:59:13 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on April 15, 2015, 08:25:09 PM

I got the parts a couple days ago. You're not mistaken.  I rubbed some white-out into the marking on the back to give it some contrast, it's H1.  Also on the inside there is the letter/number combination, C252, not sure if that's the date or not.

Yes, that C252 is a date, meaning March 25, in the year of manufacture which has to be inferred from other markings. We don't know what the last digit is, but it is always found to be 1, 2, or 3, just like on later housings. Some collectors believe it to be a shift, but we don't seem to have any confirmation. I believe not, because I don't think they worked in multiple shifts around the clock to make telephones. I found one reference which appeared to state that something like shifts were introduced much later for a special occasion, and I have to find that reference again.

Based on the observations of these marks, your housing was most likely made in 1938, because by late 1938, the housing type was ink-stamped inside.  See here for discussion: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11389.0