News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SA 4: 1894 No. 1 Speaking Tube Desk Set Special Auction Contest - Ended 12/7

Started by TelePlay, December 04, 2014, 09:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Absolutely any and all members are very welcome and strongly encouraged to take a guess in this contest. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

A suggestion was made to run a "Special Auction Contest" on several of the "Old Telephones" phones being sold by way of Morphy Auctions. Each of these special auction contests will really be nothing more than a chance for members to take a one shot guess at the winning bid, if the phone sells, and it's all just for fun.

These auctions will end at various times this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday, so throw you guess into the ring. Since most of us don't have a clue as to what these will sell for, offer your best guesstimate and lets see what happens.  And, since this is a "special rules" no winner contest, the best guesser will not be included in the Hall of Fame or be counted in the Contest Standings as a win. This one is just for fun.

All I ask is that 1) guesses be at least $25 dollars apart, 2) only one guess per player (can't revise a guess) and 3) no guesses will be accepted with less than 1 hour ("yes, one hour") to go in the auction, special rules for a special contest . . .  ;)

. . . this is the phone being auctioned:

Lot # : 748 - 1894 No. 1 Speaking Tube Desk Set
(Estimate :     20,000.00 - 25,000.00 USD per the Morphy Auction listing)

More photos and information are available at the above link.

The seller described the phone as a "Western Electric No. 1 Speaking Tube Desk Telephone. Alexander Graham Bell's first upright desk top telephone model. Equipped with the earliest form hard rubber marked transmitter face designed specifically for Speaking Tube use and a Code No. 129 unipolar low resistance watch case receiver with matching serial numbers. Telescoping shaft allows the user to adjust the transmitter height for ease of use. Speaking tubes were described in the Western Electric product catalog as Factory, Special or Interior telephones and advertised to provide excellent service, be neat in appearance and require little attention. This desk set was probably introduced between 1893 - 1894. It uses Western Electric's larger, second generation potbelly base. The wider base was an improvement over the original narrow potbelly base. Fantastic, original condition and one of the rarest telephones in the collection. Size 13" T. "

S C O R E B O A R D

$  10,000.00 - wds  ( 1 )
$  14,000.00 - Kenton K  ( 2 )
$  17,777.00 - Brinybay  ( 6 )
$  17,875.00 - tallguy58  ( 3 )
$  18,500.00 - Fabius  ( 7 )
$  19,000.00 - Sargeguy  ( 5 )
$  20,000.00 - kleinkaliber  ( 4 )
$  22,500.00 - TelePlay  ( 8 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $30,000.00

Auction Status

12-06 & 07, 2014       Auction starts at 9am EST both days.
12-07-14  Ended  $30,000.00

Kenton K

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Sargeguy - is that really $190k?  Or just how much you're going to bid?
Dave

TelePlay

"S C O R E B O A R D" updated.

The Morphy Auction for each phone starts on both Saturday and Sunday, 12-06 & 07, at 9am EST for both days.

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

wds

The part of the auction for the phones isn't actually until Sunday. 
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on December 06, 2014, 08:20:59 AM
The part of the auction for the phones isn't actually until Sunday.

I'm confused, as always. Their site says the auction starts in one minute from now.

wds

They are auctioning off over a 1000 items with this auction.  The phones aren't until tommrorow.
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on December 06, 2014, 09:20:04 AM
They are auctioning off over a 1000 items with this auction.  The phones aren't until tommrorow.

Okay, I saw the countdown clock on each phone was until the end of the internet bidding period. As such, the auction is now at the auction house and the first of the thousands of items went on the block at 9 am EST today, right?

If the phones are not on the block until tomorrow, Sunday the 7th of December, then forum members have until 8 am EST on 12/7 to get their guesses in. Right?

And we won't know what each of the phones sold for until they are off the block with "Price Realized" dollar amount, right?

And if no "Price Realized" is published, then the phone did not sell, right?

wds

I was told by Morphy's that the phones will be auctioned starting at 9 am Sunday.  As far as how Morphy's works, I have no idea.  When I registered, it didn't ask me for a payment method, and I don't know if they even ship the items.  If I should happen to win a phone, I might be making a long road trip.  I've been watching some of the items on the Morphy's site, and they move very quickly.  Items are selling in a matter of seconds, so you have to be quick. 
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on December 06, 2014, 02:27:12 PM
I've been watching some of the items on the Morphy's site, . . .

How do you do that? I've been looking at their site, logged in, and can't find the current auction.