News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 554 - "Sticking" Finger Wheel and No Dial Tone

Started by curtjr4, August 03, 2011, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

I have Mediacom cable telephone service in the apartment.  I asked one of the techs about rotary phones, he told me they absolutely do not support pulse dialing, but I have about a 50% chance of it actually working.  He had no idea what made it work or not work, he just knows that sometimes for some reason it does.  I'm on the unlucky half, so the 302 on my desk can't dial out.

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: curtjr4 on August 04, 2011, 09:24:17 PM
Sure Dennis, I'll email you in a few :)

As for whether my modem will work with it or not... I don't believe it does. AT&T said that rotary is NOT supported with my modem, and I tried it on a trimline. That didn't work, either. I think I only got it to dial out once out of 30 or so with the trimline.

Hmm.... Does the Trimline seem like its dial is way out of whack? If your modem didn't support pulse, I would think that it would never work. The fact that it sometimes works, no matter how infrequently, suggests that the modem understands what's going on. Unless the modem was supposed to support pulse but the engineers never got it working (most likely were never given the time/budget to get it working so it kinda sorta half works but not really 'cause that part was never really finished but who cares nobody uses pulse anymore.... ;-)

curtjr4

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on August 04, 2011, 10:30:07 PM
Quote from: curtjr4 on August 04, 2011, 09:24:17 PM
Sure Dennis, I'll email you in a few :)

As for whether my modem will work with it or not... I don't believe it does. AT&T said that rotary is NOT supported with my modem, and I tried it on a trimline. That didn't work, either. I think I only got it to dial out once out of 30 or so with the trimline.

Hmm.... Does the Trimline seem like its dial is way out of whack? If your modem didn't support pulse, I would think that it would never work. The fact that it sometimes works, no matter how infrequently, suggests that the modem understands what's going on. Unless the modem was supposed to support pulse but the engineers never got it working (most likely were never given the time/budget to get it working so it kinda sorta half works but not really 'cause that part was never really finished but who cares nobody uses pulse anymore.... ;-)
Actually, the trimline does have difficulty dialing with tones. But, my biggest problem is that when it does pulse... you can still hear the dial tone from the modem.

Bill

Quote from: jsowers on August 04, 2011, 03:58:46 PM
Bill, did you look at the video? The dial has to be forced back and it makes a bad ratcheting sound when trying to dial. It's one of the later plasticky dials and not very sturdy. The blue wire is missing its spade too. It would need some work and may not be worth it.
My apologies, you are right - I started to watch the video, but gave up and went to the photos.

Bill