News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich 105 K wiring

Started by HarrySmith, January 26, 2011, 03:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Like nearly all of my phones, this one is black, though I suppose that it could have originally had different color plastic parts.  The "105G" in on the base.

Larry

AE_Collector

Okay thanks. As you say, the color could have changed over the years. And I am only speculating that this letter *might* relate to color. We will see if anyone else weighs in with a different letter/color combo.

Terry

Dennis Markham

About 3 years ago I bought a Leich Convertible.  At least that is what I think it is.  I put it on the shelf and haven't touched it until reading this thread.   Mine reads 705J on the bottom and is dated 2-54.  The handset elements have a date of 1-54 each.  Is this a completely different model that what is being talked about here?  I mean "Leich" it looks the same but has "Leich" a different number. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 26, 2011, 11:28:10 PM
About 3 years ago I bought a Leich Convertible.  At least that is what I think it is.  I put it on the shelf and haven't touched it until reading this thread.   Mine reads 705J on the bottom and is dated 2-54.  The handset elements have a date of 1-54 each.  Is this a completely different model that what is being talked about here?  I mean "Leich" it looks the same but has "Leich" a different number.  

Yes there are also 7xx series Leichs. Somewhere I recall recently reading what the differences were but I can't recall where I read that now. Of course there are also 9xx series with the 901 being the familiar bakelite convertible model with a Magneto where the dial would be. That model could be converted to dial as well but the dial version is very rare as compared to the Magneto version.

So your 705J is a black one too.

Now we have:
105K = Black
105C = light green
105G = Black
705J = Black

Terry

paul-f

For the basic Leich 700-type Sets:

701 - manual
  705 - dial
  711 - manual with hookswitch latch (party line)
  715 - dial with hookswitch latch (party line)

Suffix for ringer type

C - SL
  G - 33 1/3 Hz.
  H - 50
  J - 66 2/3
  K - 16 2/3
  L - 25
  M - 30
  N - 42
  P - 54
  R - 66
  S - 16
  T - 20
  U - 60
  V - 40 

The 100-series numbers were probably similar.

For example...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Thanks Paul.

So that clears that up. The letters are nothing to do with color and everything to do with the ringers. For some reason they felt the need to put both a letter AND the frequency on the base of most of them. Looks like so far my "C" set is the only one originally equipped with a SL ringer but Harry's at least has been converted to a SL ringer after the fact.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Dennis' 705 has a WE 302 type inductor coil and receiver.  My 105 has a network resembling a WE 500 and a U1 receiver.  His is a bit older, so it was probably a transition from the 600 series to the 105.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: ae_collector on January 26, 2011, 11:44:23 PM
About 3 years ago I bought a Leich Convertible.  At least that is what I think it is.  I put it on the shelf and haven't touched it until reading this thread.   Mine reads 705J on the bottom and is dated 2-54.  The handset elements have a date of 1-54 each.  Is this a completely different model that what is being talked about here?  I mean "Leich" it looks the same but has "Leich" a different number. 

Yes there are also 7xx series Leichs. Somewhere I recall recently reading what the differences were but I can't recall where I read that now. Of course there are also 9xx series with the 901 being the familiar bakelite convertible model with a Magneto where the dial would be. That model could be converted to dial as well but the dial version is very rare as compared to the Magneto version.

So your 705J is a black one too.

Now we have:
105K = Black
105C = light green
105G = Black
705J = Black

Terry

I have a 115 T 20 it is red   11 58

It has a clear push button @ the cradle.

It was supposedly a "hotline" type phone for volunteer fire fighters.  When it was ringing you checked in and got the info from the firehouse.
Looking at the 700 codes I would guess 115 to be a partyline which would make sense with the story that came with the phone.
JIm

M
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Does it have the hook switch latch though? I wouldn't think they would bother with a hook latch for a fire phone in multiple houses as isn't everyone who is home supposed to answer and all get the info at the same time?

Terry

Phoniac

Dennis, I just noticed that yours has a Western Electric 101A induction coil were as my Leich 105 had a a network similar to a Stromberg-Carlson or AE so that would be one difference. I don't remember if mine had a AE dial.

Wallphone

On Dennis' phone with the 101A coil and AE dial, his dial uses the jumper bar between the pulse & shunt contacts. The schematic that Phoniac posted does not show this jumper bar. Harry, does yours have the jumper bar? I was working on an AE 50 recently and there are two different schematics for the AE 50. I was using the wrong one at first and had the pulse terminals wired wrong. I swapped the two wires with each other and it broke dial tone the way it should. If the dial doesn't have the jumper bar it doesn't really matter how the two wires go on, but it does matter if you have the jumper bar.

HarrySmith

No, I do not have the jumper bar. I was comparing it to anothe rAE dial I have and noticed that jumper. I was thinking about jumping it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

Harry, Did you take any pics of the base and the dial yet? If you have the Leich network and not the WE 101A then you probably don't need the jumper. If you did put the jumper on you would be by-passing some of the network that is needed. Try swapping the dial pulse wires with each other.

AE_Collector

I think you might be onto it Wallphone. I think I recall seeing that once before. That shorting bar is virtually always used on AE dials in my experience.

Terry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: ae_collector on January 27, 2011, 11:06:03 PM
Does it have the hook switch latch though? I wouldn't think they would bother with a hook latch for a fire phone in multiple houses as isn't everyone who is home supposed to answer and all get the info at the same time?

Terry

I don't think it does. I will check @ home.

I am thinking that the button is a ringer "acknowledge" switch. I am going by memory on what the seller said.
I recall thinking that it would have to be a 4 wire phonbe with ringer on 1 pair and talk on another.
I think you pushed the button to acknowledge the ringer on your phone. The button is clear , so it may illuminate on ringing.

I guess I will have to take some photos.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.