News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

MAJOR SCORE! WE Dark Gold 302

Started by Devansphones, May 02, 2019, 05:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devansphones

I made a major score today from a local seller on Facebook! She had it listed on the marketplace for $45, and I pounced. The housing is nearly pristine, the handset is the correct brown bakelite underneath the gold (and what I believe to be black primer). The owner inherited it from her grandfather who lived in New York when the phone was in use. I'll post more in-depth photos later. Does anybody have any good advice on repainting handsets?
~Devan

Babybearjs

John

Key2871

That is a great score, how is the condition of the rest of the set? For what you paid, that's very nice.
KEN

Whitcrane76

Me personally, if it's 100% original including the dial card, all I would do is replace the frayed cord. Restored is fine, but nothing beats original. Plus, I would have to say you already won find of the month for May!

Jim Stettler

You got a real nice deal. You should post it in the May Find of the Month.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Devansphones

Quote from: Key2871 on May 02, 2019, 06:26:20 PM
That is a great score, how is the condition of the rest of the set? For what you paid, that's very nice.
I haven't been able to get inside for a look yet! I will when I get home, I'm at an appointment at the moment :/

And I might see if I can paint a different F1 just so I don't have to strip the original. Do I HAVE to replace the frayed cord? Could I trim it down and use the salvage-able majority of the cord? I've never tried to salvage a cloth cord.

I'm so proud to be "Find of The Month" worthy!
~Devan

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Devansphones on May 02, 2019, 07:02:29 PM
I haven't been able to get inside for a look yet! I will when I get home, I'm at an appointment at the moment :/

And I might see if I can paint a different F1 just so I don't have to strip the original. Do I HAVE to replace the frayed cord? Could I trim it down and use the salvage-able majority of the cord? I've never tried to salvage a cloth cord.

I'm so proud to be "Find of The Month" worthy!
This was a good deal, However, any phone can be a find of the month, Part of the criteria includes if the find is "special" to you. Other phones, like this, are a great deal and should get nominated.
I have some really poor condition phones that I was happy to buy at the price.
I guess the best deciding factor is "Does it make you happy to own it". If so, it is a "find". Sharing your finds is part of what makes the forum a cool site to belong to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
If a collector only finds 1 phone this month, It is still their "find of the month". I have been collecting for a long time, If I could buy 1 really cool phone each month, I would be happy. I only buy phones for my collection, unless they are a great deal. The great deals get sold to buy more cool phones for the collection. That is the best way to get a really nice collection and still keep the bills paid.
I am lazy and seldom restore phones. I would not strip the original handset, I would paint a black F1 to match and store  the original handset with it . I would not worry about the frayed cord. If I painted a handset, I would put a decent used cord on it and keep the original cord on the original handset. That is me.
As they say, It is yours to do with whatever makes you happy. Don't worry about what others would do with the set. Consider all advice given, and then do what you want. That includes this advice.
Good Find,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Pourme

~

Congrats, Devan on your find....I know how exhilarating that can be to a collector!

Excellent advise from Jim,as well.....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Devansphones

Thanks for all the advice everybody! This phone brings me immense joy, as they all do... But it's special to me because I don't go out of my way to find things like this, I just collect what makes me feel good, but it's nice to have something that one wouldn't typically find at the local antique shop! And, I also really love when I can know the history of a phone... I was able to meet the woman who grew up with it belonging to both her father and grandfather. I was able to create a personal connection, shake her hand, and tell her it would be very loved! That's better than a good deal. I'm holding onto a history that this woman was very proud of.

I think I'll keep the original handset and cords tucked away for safe keeping, and I'll paint a black F1 to match for continuity.

Here are some photos of all the innards! A beautiful phone, if O do say so myself!
~Devan

jsowers

You scored a really beautiful and original phone! TRafalgar was an exchange in New York City. You said New York, so I wasn't sure if you knew it came from the upper east side of Manhattan. You can probably neaten up the frayed area of the cord at the handset and pull it into the transmitter area a little to hide it, if you plan to display the phone. I wouldn't cut the cord or paint the handset, but painting another one wouldn't be a bad idea. Getting paint to match would be hard to do since it's metallic. It almost looks like auto paint they used in the 1970s when gold was a popular color. You could take one of the caps to a store that sells auto paint and see if they can match it.

There's an interesting article in The New Yorker about NYC telephone exchanges if anyone is interested...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2003/02/10/dial-again
Jonathan

Devansphones

Quote from: jsowers on May 02, 2019, 08:38:19 PM
You scored a really beautiful and original phone! TRafalgar was an exchange in New York City. You said New York, so I wasn't sure if you knew it came from the upper east side of Manhattan. You can probably neaten up the frayed area of the cord at the handset and pull it into the transmitter area a little to hide it, if you plan to display the phone. I wouldn't cut the cord or paint the handset, but painting another one wouldn't be a bad idea. Getting paint to match would be hard to do since it's metallic. It almost looks like auto paint they used in the 1970s when gold was a popular color. You could take one of the caps to a store that sells auto paint and see if they can match it.

There's an interesting article in The New Yorker about NYC telephone exchanges if anyone is interested...

I was just reading that article last night! The woman from whom I purchased the phone explain to me that her grandfather emigrated from Italy, lived in New York City, later New Jersey, and even later Ohio where I'm from. Her grandfather and father kept the phone all these years, her father passed recently and she's parting with some things. It's funny how fate can find you sometimes!
~Devan

Jim Stettler

You could take one of the caps to a store that sells auto paint and see if they can match it.

Great suggestion.
A lot of paint companies can scan a color and computer mix a custom color. Some can  package it in a spray can or paint marker and they will sell in a small amounts. I think that is your best bet for matching paint.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Sargeguy

That is a seamless brown F-1.  A seamless black F-1 is even harder to come by so I wouldn't plan on painting one gold.  I would just display it as is.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RotarDad

There is a post on the forum where WEBellSystemChristian painted two black 302s, one red and one blue.  He used Bondo to fill the seam on the black handset and the groove on the caps to make them look more authentic when painted.  That being said, I agree with Greg - display the phone as is.  Normal wear is part of the story of the phone.  Very nice find!
Paul

HarrySmith

I agree with Greg, do not replace the handset, the wear is part of the history. I have one that the handset paint is worn off and I think it looks perfect on the phone. I would follow the suggestion of tucking the frayed cord inside to diaplay better. Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"