"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

750/2750 panel phone

Started by Weco355aman, July 05, 2017, 11:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weco355aman

Hi
A friend of mine that has a business that molds plastic parts, has priced out making the boarder
ring that most phones are missing, The price per unit would be about $70 ea + shipping.
This is high for the ring, but it would complete the phone. To get it at this price I would need to order
100 units, after the 1st 100 they would be $ aprox $2 ea. I'm trying to find out if there is any interest.
If you would be interested please say yes. DO NOT P M me ill replay if I receive enough interest here and TCI.
Phil   
Phil

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Weco355aman on July 05, 2017, 11:42:15 PM
Hi
A friend of mine that has a business that molds plastic parts, has priced out making the boarder
ring that most phones are missing, The price per unit would be about $70 ea + shipping.
This is high for the ring, but it would complete the phone. To get it at this price I would need to order
100 units, after the 1st 100 they would be $ aprox $2 ea. I'm trying to find out if there is any interest.
If you would be interested please say yes. DO NOT P M me ill replay if I receive enough interest here and TCI.
Phil
Have you looked into 3D printing?

Weco355aman

Phil

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Weco355aman on July 06, 2017, 12:32:05 AM
Yes $165 ea.
In what quantities and done by whom?  A friend has access to a 3D printer.  Maybe he can do it for less.

RotarDad

If we are talking about the perimeter trim ring on the panel phone, that is a large part.  An industrial 3D printer would be needed, I would think, for such a large part.  3D printing is an intriguing idea for this, as well as many other phone parts.... Mushroom caps in color would be very cool...
Paul

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: RotarDad on July 06, 2017, 09:47:29 PM
If we are talking about the perimeter trim ring on the panel phone, that is a large part.  An industrial 3D printer would be needed, I would think, for such a large part.  3D printing is an intriguing idea for this, as well as many other phone parts.... Mushroom caps in color would be very cool...
Good point about the size issue. 

There are "maker shops" around these days where hobbyists can get access to tools and instruments they could not justify owning personally.  Perhaps large size 3D printers could be found at one of these places and used for little cost.  It seems like the kind of thing such places would have.  They generally have electronic instruments and mechanical tools.

A local full time auto mechanic who is also something of a tinkerer recently told me he had bought an NC machine to be able to make certain kinds of repair parts for cars.  Where he has experienced that the OEM part is a casting that breaks frequently and is expensive he machines a replacement for a fraction of the cost and passes the saving along.

I talked to him about possibly making designation strips for 440 & 460 sets, which are often missing and cannot be 3D printed because 3D printed parts are not optically transparent.  He was encouraging about giving it a shot.  Perhaps a relatively simple shape like the 750/2750 bezel ring would also be a good candidate for NC reproduction.

I think though in either case (3D printing or NC machining) making 4 sides and cementing them at the corners might be the best way.  Perhaps that would also bring the size within the range of what more common 3D printers can do.

TelePlay

Can someone/anyone post at least one photo of this ring as an example so we can see what you are talking about?

Thanks.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on July 06, 2017, 10:17:57 PM
Can someone/anyone post at least one photo of this ring as an example so we can see what you are talking about?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure I don't have one here but essentially it's like a picture frame molded of plastic with a hollow "V" or "U"-like cross section, the open side of the "V" or "U" facing the back (the wall).  Not exactly a "V" or "U" in that one face is rounded and the other flat IIRC, with a flat front face, but essentially like a "V" or "U".

jsowers

Below are pictures of the frames. The silver panel uses a light gray frame and the copper panel uses a light beige frame.
Jonathan

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: jsowers on July 06, 2017, 11:13:27 PM
Below are pictures of the frames. The silver panel uses a light gray frame and the copper panel uses a light beige frame.
Please also post a closeup photo of the back edge of one of these so we can see what the cross section is like.  Thanks.

jsowers

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on July 06, 2017, 11:28:10 PM
Please also post a closeup photo of the back edge of one of these so we can see what the cross section is like.  Thanks.
I didn't have a rear shot, but a friend did, so here it is. He has a 1750 panel phone installed in his media room, so it was easily accessible.
Jonathan

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: jsowers on July 07, 2017, 12:48:52 AM
I didn't have a rear shot, but a friend did, so here it is. He has a 1750 panel phone installed in his media room, so it was easily accessible.
Good!  Pretty much as I remembered them.

Dan/Panther

Wouldn't that lend itself to a silicone molding process ? I worked with injection molding at GM, it is VERY costly.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson