Main Menu

Hot Enough For You?

Started by 19and41, May 28, 2019, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

That sounds quite tolerable actually..
KEN

twocvbloke

Depends on the humidity, we had a rather hot few days the other week and the humidity was unbearable, and I needed to mow the grass that week before I ended up awake through the night (which I am at the moment), and I didn't get it done, no point making myself ill over grass cutting... :)

but the cold weather's usually accompanied by rain, because britain...  ;D

19and41

A week ago Tuesday, my central air conditioners' interior unit failed after declining over this spring/summer.  They found it was the evaporator coil assembly.  They condemned the unit and my home warranty company is going to pay much of it.  On Wednesday, after a week of temperatures in the 90's F,  they are going to remove the old furnace and install the new one.  I hope it goes without a hitch.  I have been surviving with a window unit I got last year to take up the slack.  It can just keep the living room liveable.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Yea you're lucky your warranty company is go I by to cover most of it... Our only one in the living room wall started off the summer by going on vacation...
Gotta pull that out and find a new one, when the budget allows. But the past several days have been much more tolerable, less humidity and cool nights. But that ride is reaching the end as hotter weather is coming back in a few days. Oh well, such is life just keep on truck in..
KEN

19and41

It looks like they will do about 2/3 of the cost.  This was the main reason I went with a warranty.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

That's better than no thirds.. Good call
KEN

19and41

If you'll be looking for a window unit, I'd recommend a Figidaire (Electrolux)  I found them to be reasonably priced and with favorable reviews.  Lowes carried them when I got mine.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Actually looking for another wall unit, it will pretty much just slide in place. A lot of the Windows we have are not double hung, their slide. The wife wants a small window unit for the kids room, but otherwise a wall unit will be the one.
But I've had fridgedair before and I liked it, it was quiet and just worked great.
KEN

Desert Phone Guy

Here in Central Arizona, the next  6 days are forecast to have highs of 110 Degrees, with lows in the lower 80's.

Humidity today was 9 %.

Just think standing in front of the oven, and opening the door.

We have about 4 months of hot heat (it's not considered HOT here until we reach 110).  The other 8 months of the year are great.

Steve

19and41

Hot is indeed hot, but I miss those lower humidities. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

I live in Colorado . It is arid and low humidity. I have AC but seldom use it.
I prefer  a swamp cooler. They suck outside air thru a water soaked filter. You open windows in the room you want to cool. The swamper pressurizes the house and the air flows towards the open window  "leaks". They work great in low humidity areas.
JMO<
JIm S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

I had one in Utah.  They were nice.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Whoa, Steve that's 🔥hot. I've heard about Arizona and how hot and dry it is... I guess I feel cooler already, lol.
I've never heard of a "swamper" before, but hey if it works.
As of today, actually over night I feel the humidity has gone up, and temps are rising again after a reprieve. But such is weather on the east coast. Maybe a beach day with the wife and kids, good ole Maine coast.. Yea, that sounds like a plan.
KEN

HarrySmith

Quote from: Key2871 on July 10, 2019, 08:18:04 AMMaybe a beach day with the wife and kids, good ole Maine coast.. Yea, that sounds like a plan.

Isn't the water still a little cold up there? i recall camping in Maine with my parents when I was young, not expecting cold water seeing how hot is was. What a shock!! My testes disapeared in a flash! :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Desert Phone Guy

Swamp Coolers or (evaporative coolers) work decently well in low humidity climates.  They actually humidify the air as it passes thru the water or saturated membrane.  Swamp coolers tend to not work to well in the south as the humidity is generally too high during cooling season to work properly.  Several homes here and especially up in the high country (Flagstaff area) use them.