News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Polane coated phone resurrected

Started by finlover, March 07, 2010, 05:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

This '65 500 has been sitting in my closet for months now because I was dreading the chore of removing the Polane, plus I didn't know what kind of mess I'd find lurking underneath.  I finally decided to just buckle down and sand it off, and to my surprise it wasn't discolored at all!  I'm wondering why it was painted in the first place.  So here are a few shots of yet another 500.  It's going up for auction tonight, here's a link to it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190378808558

finlover

a couple more pix

Dan/Panther

Greg;
One beautiful phone. I've come to the conclusion, either you are keeping a secret from us, or you are the devil himself.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Fin:

I have a Rose Beige painted with Polane. It is on its way to Austin.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Greg, that is very nice!  Your fingers must be sore.  Looking at the logo on the back, is it a bit darker?  Obviously you couldn't sand that??  Beautiful job once again.  Even the mouse holes are in like new condition.

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

finlover

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 07, 2010, 06:02:45 PM
Greg;
One beautiful phone. I've come to the conclusion, either you are keeping a secret from us, or you are the devil himself.
D/P
Thanks, D/P!
I'm not the devil, but I am in league with him.  The league meets every Thursday at Family Fun Bowl. ;D

finlover

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 07, 2010, 06:05:14 PM
Greg, that is very nice!  Your fingers must be sore.  Looking at the logo on the back, is it a bit darker?  Obviously you couldn't sand that??  Beautiful job once again.  Even the mouse holes are in like new condition.

Thanks, Dennis!  Actually, it came off much easier than expected.  Your right about the logo, that last little bit of Polane is a tiny bit darker but not objectionable (I hope!).

Craig T

Another beauty Finlover and to think you took Polane paint off of it too. That is one great resurrection!

Doug Rose

WOW! Greg you are amazing, WOW!...Doug
Kidphone

Netdewt

That color looks fantastic on the red desk. Did you pull the eBay listing?

finlover

Quote from: Netdewt on March 07, 2010, 08:53:07 PM
That color looks fantastic on the red desk. Did you pull the eBay listing?
Thank you, sir!  That's a mission style side table that's part of a set I have.  That quarter-sawn red oak seems to look good with any color.  The auction starts at 9:30 Central, you got a little preview.

McHeath

Incredible!  Clearly some magic spell is being worked to get that color and shine out of a phone that was painted.  (painted!!!)

finlover

Casting a spell isn't as easy as it seems, McHeath.  Do you know how hard it is to find a decent eye of newt these days? :)

AET

I'll start raising newts for you if you can teach me that magic!
- Tom