News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help Posting

Started by tallguy58, October 08, 2014, 03:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

How do you add captions to photos on this board?

I want to start a topic which shows the progress of a project and want to describe what the photos are.

Do you have to upload your images to a website and then use the image button to load them?

Or can you use the attachment button at the bottom?  Using this option, it seems that the pics always end up at the bottom.

How can I position photos in a topic?

I want to have
TEXT

PICTURE

TEXT

Etc, Etc.

Like this topic:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9359.0

Thanks in advance
Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

Hi Bill:

You pretty well have it figured out. To post between the lines, you have to have an external photo site - if you attach the other way, all photos will end up after the post...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

tallguy58

OK, thanks Dave.

Any way of deleting this useless post?
Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

Quote from: tallguy58 on October 08, 2014, 04:21:21 PM
OK, thanks Dave.

Any way of deleting this useless post?
Actually, Bill, I would recommend leaving it up, as I am sure there are others wondering the same thing you asked. It will answer their questions!

No post is useless!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: tallguy58 on October 08, 2014, 03:27:23 PM
How do you add captions to photos on this board?

I want to start a topic which shows the progress of a project and want to describe what the photos are.

Do you have to upload your images to a website and then use the image button to load them?

You can do that and as long as the external site is operational, the topic on the forum will make sense.

But, if for some reason, you give up or lose that external account, or move the pictures in any way within that account that will invalidate the link, or move the pictures to a new external photo holding account, this is what you, or we who may be looking for the photos to support the text we are reading, will see. The loss of the pictures in some case totally destroys the text, the content of the text making the topic, or at least that post meaningless.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=717.msg51026#msg51026

I'm using this link because it the one I recently ran across. There are many other and I am not using this link to be critical of Larry.

Every time a see a contemporary post put up with pictures from an external source, I shudder to think of what will happen to them later. It's easy to tell which are which. Forum posted pictures have the file title below them; external referenced images using the [ img ] function, be they on another site or the forum, do not.

It's your choice but in my opinion, it would be better to post the text describing a picture in one post and they use the reply to post the next comment and accompanying photo in another new post, and so on. Some members create 3 to 6 posts with nothing in them other than a short comment, something like "space for additional photos within this topic" and then go back later and post the photo and text in the "saved" post. That keeps them together, even if they are in separate posts. Each consecutive post gives a member 6 photos in each, max. Photos can be labeled and referred to in the text, eg: Picture 2a shows . . . , etc. with the "2a" being typed on the picture using whatever photo software package you are using or by starting the title of the photo, before you save it with "2a - polished brass . . . .jpg."

May seem like a lot of work but 5 years from now when someone is searching for the solution or method or information you may have posted in several, rather than one post, will be much more happy to see the photos still posted on the forum rather than the "photo no longer available" message from and external site.

the [ img ] htlm work well if using an image already posted somewhere on the forum using "view image info" and then copying the location of that image into an [ img ] link in the topic but using "image info" or a url from an external site may and can make a photo unavailable in the future.

There are some old topics on this forum that have extremely useful textual information but the photos are gone, as are the members, making the whole topic useless, dead, worthless. With that, I think you get which way I lean toward posting photos on the forum. It's your choice of what you want to do, and if what you are doing is for posterity or just a temporary comment with no longevity.

paul-f

Interesting, John.

That suggests one could create the topic for the discussion, then create a separate topic just for the photos to support the discussion.  It wouldn't matter what order the photos were loaded.

The photos could then be referenced in the discussion topic using the
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: paul-f on October 08, 2014, 05:32:25 PM
That suggests one could create the topic for the discussion, then create a separate topic just for the photos to support the discussion.  It wouldn't matter what order the photos were loaded.

Yes, and I've done that for sending images within PMs using the image function. The problem is finding or creating a post to park photos. And I think once they are posted using the image function, if the forum photo is deleted, the photo stays in the post where it is linked to. I have two old, obscure posts that I use to temporary park photos for use in PMs  but have to keep deleting some of the six when I need to put up a new photo to be PM'd to someone.

I'll have to do some testing to see if such photos stay in a newer post when deleted from the temporary storage post.

--------------------
EDIT 1:

test photo linked from another topic on the forum using image:

---------------------
EDIT 2:

and this edit is posted (saved) after the photo was deleted from the other forum post.

I TAKE THAT BACK. Moving to another machine gives me an error message for the deleted photo, so, the photo must stay on the forum in its original location to be seen in the topic discussion.

---------------------
EDIT 3:

. . . so it seems a photo loaded to the forum in another (say temporary storage topic) can be then linked by way of the image function into the body of a text post, between paragraphs, and once saved, the photo in the temporary area can not be deleted so the photo remains in the topic post where it is discussed. A novel use of the image function to do what tallguy58 wants to do without using an external image hosting site where a deleted photo also kills the photo in the topic where it is being discussed, as in the example I posted of Larry's damaged phone. The only problem here is to create a topic or a comment within a topic would put up a public notification for all so see simply by clicking on the notification. That may confuse people. That is why I use an obscure post no one is going to read and the modification of the post, switching out temporary photos, does not flag the system to put up a public notification.

Again, the photo immediately above has been deleted from my temporary photo docking post and does not remain in this topic.

If the image is linked using image as seen on the original screen, it can only be saved from the topic as a .png and some image software does not open a .png image. Windows "Paint" and "Photoshop" will open a .png. If you click on the original image to be inserted using image, that image can then be downloaded as a .jpg, a function of the SMS software, I guess. If linked as in the .jpg way, the image in the topic post or the PM can be clicked upon to enlarge it to the largest image being copied and is bigger than the screen will allow in the normal view, reading view.

--------------------
EDIT 4:

Okay, I put a rotated battery image back up but copied it in its largest view and posted it here using the image function. Click on the image to see what I mean by it enlarging and try to save it using a right click, it will come up as a .jpg file. Also, an image inserted in either a PM or a topic will be seen in the "preview" mode.

============

Any questions, ask.

By the way, the photo is of a direct, exact replacement battery for a Panasonic 616, cost is about $12-13. It's the right size, has the right connector and is the right voltage. Google what's on the battery package to find the source at Interstate Batteries. Okay, easy to find so here is the link:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/1/1/9327-2-4v-110mah-nicd-tel0710.html

AE_Collector

Too bad that the "New" indicator function couldn't be disabled by board or category. We could have an area like the "My Telephone Collection Diplay" area where members could each have one topic to put all of the pictures they need to use in other posts around the forum. It could be done anyway but I agree, the "New" indicator is going to unnecesarily draw attention to posts full of pictures but no explanation. Ten someone will start asking questions about the pictures within the topic!

It is probably much less confusing to either do one picture along with text per post or edit numbers onto the pictures to put up to six pictures into each post along with text at the top of each post.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 08, 2014, 10:41:17 PM
It is probably much less confusing to either do one picture along with text per post or edit numbers onto the pictures to put up to six pictures into each post along with text at the top of each post.

That's the easiest way I think, at least I thought so. Used that to post this tutorial some time ago. You can get well over 20 pictures if you have photo editing software to combine images and then resize them so as not to exceed the dreaded 3+ MByte file size which will crash the page. Each of these composite photos was about 1 MByte in size and enlarges nicely to see details if one clicks on an image.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=822.msg124775#msg124775

TelePlay

I had forgotten that I put this post up not that long ago. It speaks for itself.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11610.0

Click the link in the first post and scroll down to see why.