"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Problem with bells ringing while dialing and lifting up the receiver

Started by Ampico66, June 21, 2015, 11:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ampico66

Hello All --

I wired up a candlestick phone and it works, except it has an issue.  When I lift up the receiver, the bells ding.  They also ding along with the rotary dial such that every pulse from the rotary dial makes a ding in the bells.  I have worked with Western Electric subsets before that have a little spring and a string in order to hold the bells under a little tension to accommodate for this problem.  This subset isn't Western Electric, however, and although it has a similar spring and string attachment, it isn't helping.  The bells are dinging LOUDLY when you dial and lift up the receiver. 

Any help would be appreciated --

Thanks,

Damon

G-Man

It would help immensely if you would tell us the model number of the bell and subset as well as uploading a photo.

On possible solution would be to reverse the line wires.

Ktownphoneco

Damon   ....  Try G-Man's suggestion and try reversing the tip / ring line connections, or the two ringer conductors and see what that does.      The reason your subset is doing that is because the condenser / capacitor is dis-charging and charging every time you lift and lower the receiver hook (switch), and each time the pulsing contacts open and close as you dial numbers.     A lot of people call it "bell tinkle".   It's a fairly common characteristic of antique telephones.
In addition to reversing the line or ringer conductors, try increasing the bias spring tension on the ringer a little at a time.     You can also check the spacing between the clapper ball and each of the gongs.      Normal adjustment for most telephones is a spacing equal to the thickness of a sheet or two of paper (approximately), but you may be able to increase that distance a little more, until the clapper ball or hammer, doesn't strike the gongs when the connected desk stand is going off hook or on hook, or dialing a number.    But make sure to check that any gong adjustment still produces a sufficient ring on incoming calls.     
Also as G-Man suggested, a picture and make / type number of the sub-set would help.

Jeff Lamb