News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Danish Phone Find

Started by Fabius, August 05, 2018, 11:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I found this at the recent ATCA show in Indiana. $40. It is in excellent shape. My wife calls it the Danish phone with a belly button. These phones are not usually seen with the bell on the side. The Google translation of the words on the white plate is:  "do not call afterhand" Hopefully member dsk or someone can explain that.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

This is Danish but pretty old-fashioned. 

translated word by word: "RING": (crank the magnoto) "IKKE":not "FORINDEN": befor after you have  "EFTERHØRING": listened after

This was obviously a magneto party-line, and the message told you to not crank the magneto before you have listened and was shore the line was not in use.

The external ringer looks strange for me, but I do only have 2 Danish D30 telephones.

dsk

Fabius

Thanks, now I understand.

The plug drawing is what is on this phone's line cord.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Found this sticker on the bottom of the phone. I assume it is in Denmark. Maybe I will write to them.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

FABphones

It's a JYDSK (I can't zoom in enough on your photo - is JYDSK on the front label?)

'The Danish Jydsk phone, or corporation set, were produced until the 1940s by Emil Mollers of Horsens in Denmark and were used mainly by the Jutland Telephone Company. When the Jutland system was updated many of these phones were retro-fitted with dials for use on other networks'

Photo of another, very similar to yours but with a dial added.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

Quote from: Fabius on August 06, 2018, 11:05:15 AM
Found this sticker on the bottom of the phone. I assume it is in Denmark. Maybe I will write to them.

That sticker tells about change of ground wire on plus pin no 3.

dsk

Fabius

Here's the logo.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

countryman

I just found a similar set, funny enough also for 40.- (euros in this case).
I was looking for an early desk set for a while and this one fitted my purse, while still looking reasonably well kept. It's not as old as the seller claims - Emil Møller was not "A/S" (public corporation) until 1917. In 1935 the handset design changed to bakelite and 1937 the company was renamed into Kristian Kirk, so this one should be 1917-1934. I'll find out more when it arrives!
Rural Denmark was automated relatively late and even then stayed with very conventional designs for long. When the phones were finally put out of service, they were downright absorbed by the antique market. Several were "refurbished", hmmm, rather blemished by the infamous Expoga company. This one seems not to be hit by those "improvements", or at least I hope so.
According to Matilo Emil Møllers Telefonfabrikker Model 1914 would be the correct name of the phone. The design is based on an earlier Ericsson model. Siemens&Halske's OB00 and OB05 models look similar from the outside.
Not sure about the outboard ringer on Fabius' phone, did they have an internal ringer normally or a subset? I'm curious and can't wait for the phone to arrive.

P.S. the receiver diaphragm seems to be missing but I now know what to do in this case :)

Auction link: https://www.ebay.de/itm/133214220736 ( dead link 05-20-21 )

Edit, to add for the search engine: Emil Moller , Horsens, without the danish letter.

HarrySmith

I have stated before, this is the phone that started it all for me! My wife and I used to attend a local auction twice a month. We did pretty well buying stuff at auction and selling on eBay. One of these phones came up, I know nothing about it but it looked cool and I got it for $5.00. I started taking it apart to clean it and did some online research to see if I could get it working. I found the phone clubs and was hooked!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

Man, I love the look of those phones!!!
Been wanting a small footprint phone for my pony board, but those are MUCH too expensive for my budget.
they go for upwards from $100  :( :( :(
just can't afford that much.

countryman

The phone arrived in good order. The shell is scratched like it is visible on the pics, but not as bad in normal light. I tried some polishing, but was afraid to damage the decorations. I could improve the black parts a little.
I wonder about the button on top of the phone? It closes 2 normally open contacts when pressed. There is a diagram for a Emil Møller phone in the TCI library but it neither shows that button nor a coil which exists on my phone. So I'm looking for a wiring diagram.
P.S. I'll post pics later!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: countryman on November 02, 2019, 04:57:29 PM
I wonder about the button on top of the phone? It closes 2 normally open contacts when pressed.
As a "Rule of Thumb", most of the time when a discreet button is on an old phone it is there to provide  a momentary ground reference .
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 02, 2019, 05:47:16 PM
As a "Rule of Thumb", most of the time when a discreet button is on an old phone it is there to provide  a momentary ground reference .
Jim
Here we have some different traditions on magneto phones depending on the countries or even telco's standards.  Pretty often magneto telephones in the Scandinavian countries had a button for "bad lines" when you hold that button in, you shorted the induction coil, and the receiver was the only part across the line, in on-hook position, the button disconnected the ringer, and all the energy from the magneto-generator was sent out on the line.  I do knot know if that was on this phone pictured, but here in Norway that button was standard until anti sidetone came on magneto telephones.

dsk

ma_xyz

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 02, 2019, 05:47:16 PM
Jim
For magneto instruments such button is more often to disconnect the local ringer when calling with the magneto or to shorten the local microphone circuit to increase power to the receiver to increase volume. (In german such button is called the "Lauthörtaste" ~ "Button to hear louder", what is the english term used?)
I believe in case of this instrument the button does both.

From the ericsson catalog 1911:
"Telephone AC 320 is pro- vided with a press button for cutting out the ringer coils & short circuiting the induction coil.
If specially ordered we supply this telephone with- out the press button but with the connection so ar- ranged that the ringer is cut out when the generator is operated."
https://www.ericsson.com/4a6f06/assets/local/about-ericsson/ericsson-history/product-catalogues/documents/b4.2_1911_a-c_en.pdf

ma_xyz

Quote from: dsk on November 03, 2019, 03:46:13 AM
Here we have some different traditions on magneto phones depending on the countries or even telco's standards.  Pretty often magneto telephones in the Scandinavian countries had a button for "bad lines" when you hold that button in, you shorted the induction coil, and the receiver was the only part across the line, in on-hook position, the button disconnected the ringer, and all the energy from the magneto-generator was sent out on the line.  I do knot know if that was on this phone pictured, but here in Norway that button was standard until anti sidetone came on magneto telephones.

dsk

upps - did not realise that a reply was allready posted :-)