"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 100 Manual Redbar

Started by Doug Rose, November 17, 2013, 03:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

Quote from: unbeldi on November 17, 2013, 07:27:43 PM

I don't think the metal housings are particularly plentiful either.  Does anyone know just when the metal housings were made?

i'd like to know that, too. i believe the phone was produced between '47 + '54, so a short time anyway. perhaps a certain proportion were metal throughout that run ?
it would also be of interest to know the dates of nickel, or silver-coloured, gongs and the brass gongs. dennis, i see your wallphone's gongs appear to be silver in colour.

mike neale's kellogg pages might yield the info amongst the many entries.

G-Man

Quote from: david@london on November 18, 2013, 07:38:41 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on November 17, 2013, 07:27:43 PM

I don't think the metal housings are particularly plentiful either.  Does anyone know just when the metal housings were made?

i'd like to know that, too. i believe the phone was produced between '47 + '54, so a short time anyway. perhaps a certain proportion were metal throughout that run ?
it would also be of interest to know the dates of nickel, or silver-coloured, gongs and the brass gongs. dennis, i see your wallphone's gongs appear to be silver in colour.

mike neale's kellogg pages might yield the info amongst the many entries.

From the ocr'd document below it would appear that the Redbar was introduced in 1947.
There is also a brochure somewhere in the TCI Library but I am unable to find it at the moment.

KELLOGG SWITCHBOARD AND SUPPLY COMPANY
6650 SOUTH CICERO AVE.
CHICAGO 38, ILLINOIS
December 23, 1947

Gentlemen:

We are pleased to send you the enclosed Kellogg #1000 Series Master-
Phone Catalog.

This is the first of several new sections to be mailed you, and SHOULD BE FILED IN YOUR KELLOGG #10 GENERAL CATALOG along with your present Section 6.

Have you reviewed the many features of the Kellogg #1000 Series Master-
Phone?

If not, by all means do so. Thousands are in service throughout the entire nation.
Because of the ease of installation, maintenance, and the minimum investment in piece parts, many telephone companies are standardizing with Kellogg #1000 Series Masterphones.

These instruments are available for all types of subscriber services.
The same basic telephone is used for common battery manual or dial,
and also for local and farm line magneto services. 

Have you personally used the Kellogg Masterphone on your desk, or in
your own home? Once you have done so you will want your subscribers
to also benefit by the excellent quality of transmission, reception and ringing offered.

May I suggest that you investigate the possibilities of this telephone in your own plant.

Your order for one or more telephones will receive our very special attention. Our latest price list is enclosed.

Yours very truly,
s/n E.W. Miller, Manager
Apparatus Sales Department             

G-Man

Here are a couple of captions that appeared in the 1947 introductory brochures for the Masterphones:

Caption 1-

Housings for the 1000 Series Masterphones are molded in
200-ton hydraulic press, some of which are illustrated.

Caption 2-

Note also the smooth flowing lines of these
Housings, molded in one piece, of high-impact
phenolic compound.

unbeldi

Yes, thanks, this is all very much accessible, but there is no information or even mentioning about the manufacture of the metal housings in any of it. The 1947 year is what appears to be the initial year of the model line. The question remains whether the metal housings represent the early model before the Bakelite molds were constructed, or were they special order items for special applications, like military applications, available on an ongoing basis.

G-Man

My post were a response to verify davidinlondon statement that the Redbar was introduced in 1947 and since you did not provide any of "this is all very much accessible" material I decided to give him the courtesy of a reply to his query.

And no, metal Redbars were not manufactured just for the military since we have 8 or 9 of them that came from a local independent telco.

If it is such a burning question then I would suggest contacting Roger Conklin over on the TCI list since at one point in his career he oversaw production at Kellogg. He might be able to offer some insight on the Redbar.

Quote from: unbeldi on November 18, 2013, 11:37:35 AM
Yes, thanks, this is all very much accessible, but there is no information or even mentioning about the manufacture of the metal housings in any of it. The 1947 year is what appears to be the initial year of the model line. The question remains whether the metal housings represent the early model before the Bakelite molds were constructed, or were they special order items for special applications, like military applications, available on an ongoing basis.

G-Man

"Kellogg was never known for dating its products until it started dating the
transmitter and receiver capsules in its K-500 phone in 1954.

Also, like other manufacturers it did not always show every product it ever
made in a catalog, since some were adaptations of standard models made for a
specific or small number of phone company customers.

As an example the Kellogg Masterphone model 1000 Redbar shown in its catalogs had a Bakelite
housing, but it also made a non-catalog version with a cast metal instead of Bakelite housing for specific phone company customers that preferred the more damage resistant metal housing."

jfrutschy

You still amaze me bringing life back into these phones.  This looks fantastic Doug.  Truly a beautiful transformation.