"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do you collect any kind of phones?

Started by Contempra, November 11, 2017, 08:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Quote from: Brinybay on November 12, 2017, 01:44:25 AM
My era of telephone collecting preference is 1920s-1960s.

In the US, there is a lot, which is unfortunately not really the case in Canada as such. Of course you'll find some phones in the museums . but not for sale :(

RB

I buy old phones that are cheap, like me...
I prefer wood, but have a couple bake boxes also.
mostly, Local batt phones, they look cooler to me.
I now have both a LB, and a CB switchboard,
so, anything, I guess, as long as it is cheap, and looks cool. :)

Contempra

Quote from: RB on November 13, 2017, 12:33:30 PM
I buy old phones that are cheap, like me...
I prefer wood, but have a couple bake boxes also.
mostly, Local batt phones, they look cooler to me.
I now have both a LB, and a CB switchboard,
so, anything, I guess, as long as it is cheap, and looks cool. :)

oh, i'm sure you're not cheap my friend, we are collectors and each one collect what he wants ;)

19and41

Pretty much whatever interests me as well, from 1930's German Field phones up to a Motorola star tac "brick".
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Contempra

Quote from: 19and41 on November 14, 2017, 02:36:37 PM
Pretty much whatever interests me as well, from 1930's German Field phones up to a Motorola star tac "brick".

Of course I do not know Germanic phones but this is one of the few things that there is no radical change to do when you live on different continents. Example: Europe and America. the current is different but in terms of wiring, there is little change to do. For my part I only have phones from America because I live here but I would not disdain have a phone from Germany or France for example.

19and41

In both phones and radios, the schematic diagrams many times work out to be a "bridge" language in getting to understand a piece of technology, regardless of it's origin.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Contempra

Quote from: 19and41 on November 14, 2017, 04:18:16 PM
In both phones and radios, the schematic diagrams many times work out to be a "bridge" language in getting to understand a piece of technology, regardless of it's origin.

Indeed yes. it's universal. an electronic circuit, no matter the country, it's like with some differences. only the voltage and the amperage are different according to the country of origin.

AL_as_needed

This is actually harder to answer the more I think about it.... My wish-list is more extensive, but going off what I have been able to bring home:

I'd have to say I'm mainly a WE fanboy (say for one ITT and a PTT). The newest phone I have is an early 70s WE 2500, and everything else more or less is working back to a 302 from there with a desk and wall version of each. A few colored sets for spice of course.  :D

TWinbrook7

Contempra

Quote from: AL_as_needed on November 15, 2017, 07:39:46 PM
This is actually harder to answer the more I think about it.... My wish-list is more extensive, but going off what I have been able to bring home:

I'd have to say I'm mainly a WE fanboy (say for one ITT and a PTT). The newest phone I have is an early 70s WE 2500, and everything else more or less is working back to a 302 from there with a desk and wall version of each. A few colored sets for spice of course.  :D

Sure ,what we have here in Canada are mainly NE . even for a 302, mine is a Nothern Electric and it works great . I have many Contempra NE and just one with the mention WE , I have two AE automatic ( don't know the real name )  and the rest of my collection are 1980 and less . all my phones work and i enjoy them . each day i change my phone ;)

19and41

I ought to mention that most of my phones are on display in the collection section. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

Contempra

Quote from: 19and41 on November 15, 2017, 09:02:12 PM
I ought to mention that most of my phones are on display in the collection section. 

Okay.