News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

stromberg carlson 1243 wont ring

Started by yankeesullivan, September 18, 2011, 09:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeesullivan

Hello, new here and it sounds like the not ringing issue is common, I bought this phone to go in my living room, I have a 40"s theme going on in there, The guy i bought it from said it was in fine working order and mentioned the ring tone was a bit unusual as it had a high/low ring which when pushed by my finger I can hear. I stripped  up a rj-11 wire and stripped the green and red and twisted the wires together to see if it worked and it does. I get dial tone and can call out and in but, no ringing, I have looked at the wiring diagram and moved a few wires around experimenting to see if I could get it to ring but no luck yet. I see that the most common problem is wiring or a voltage issue. I guess my main question is does anyone have a cure or a place to start.  My other question is it came with the 4 prong connector so, if i bought one of the adapters  to rj-11 would that solve my problem? Any help would be great. here is a pic of the way it was when i opened it. Thanks, Brett

rdelius

Look under the yellow line cord wire. remove the wire and take that half fastened jumper and place it so it is under the screw that held the yellow wire and the other half is under the green wire.Warning the built in capacators in these old networks can be leaky.
Robby

yankeesullivan

WOW! I cant thank you enough, I looked at this phone all day and never even saw the jumper. It sounds awesome. thanks again rdelius!

rdelius

These are nice rugged telephones mostly overlooked because not WE. After my grandparents passed away, I installed a newer telephone and kept the 1243. Did not want to see it junked.
Robby

rp2813

I agree that the gongs on the 1243's are some of the most pleasant sounding ever made.  I'm glad your phone is ringing again!
Ralph