News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

11 digit dial?

Started by phonium, July 21, 2019, 08:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonium

I was at The Old telephone company in Newport, OR and somehow I got to the back room. There were so many phones! Anyways, I found an 11 digit AE fingerwheel and they said I can have it, for free!!! Later there I got the rest of the dial for $10, then put it together. So I am wondering what this was used for, and what it is worth. Thanks for any info!
George Amores
ATCA#4857

rdelius

Similar dials were used for remote control of items such as radio transmitters

Jack Ryan

There were a lot of control dials and a few CO dials with 11 holes. The CO dials weren't used in the US as far as I know.

The finger stop is in a different position and to generate a pulse when '1' is dialled, the cam that normally generates some of the interdigit delay is not present. There is no picture of the rear so I can't check it. The short interdigit delay often makes these dials incompatible with the telephone system.

Your dial has the wrong number plate.

These AE dials appear on eBay sometimes and people put high prices on them. I've never seen one sell for a high price.

Of course there are earlier AE dials with 11 holes in the finger wheel - the 1905 Strowger dial and the Sunburst dial. They often do sell for high prices.

Jack

phonium

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 21, 2019, 08:50:46 PM
The finger stop is in a different position and to generate a pulse when '1' is dialled, the cam that normally generates some of the interdigit delay is not present. There is no picture of the rear so I can't check it.
I think it has the wrong dial mechanism, but here is a pic of the back
George Amores
ATCA#4857

Jack Ryan

Quote from: phonium on July 21, 2019, 09:02:33 PM
I think it has the wrong dial mechanism, but here is a pic of the back

Yes it is the wrong dial configuration but the pulse springs are seriously bent - perhaps to get the '1' to generate a pulse.

Notice that one of the off normal cams (the one normally on the pulse contact side) is missing.

Jack

phonium

Also, I forgot to mention, the dial mechanism was with a 10 digit fingerwheel.
George Amores
ATCA#4857

Jack Ryan

Quote from: phonium on July 21, 2019, 09:59:23 PM
Also, I forgot to mention, the dial mechanism was with a 10 digit fingerwheel.

I assume from your pictures that the finger stop on the dial is not at the usual position. If that is the case, it is not a normal telephone dial and the cam I mentioned should not be there.

I am slightly confused because it appears you have a modified finger stop position and the cam is present. If that is the case, the dial cannot dial '1'.

Is the finger stop moved closer to the '1'?

There are a couple of different "short stop" AE dials. Some still use 10 digits and the '1' is moved further around the number plate (closer to the finger stop). None of the "short stop" dials should have the cam I mentioned.

Jack