"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Bought a Signal Corps Toaster Phone - More Pictures Posted

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 10, 2010, 10:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Jim:

http://www.paul-f.com/weproto.html#Other   and scroll down a few sets.

So far, I've collected a few photos and am looking for the real thing!  They're probably  in New Jersey.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

foots

Quote from: paul-f on April 14, 2010, 12:37:58 AM
It sounds like the handset was probably made by or for Edwards & Company.  Does it fit properly on the toaster's cradle?

Speaking of the cradle, you'll find that a G1 handset fits perfectly, almost as it was made for it. I often see these phones with NE, WE (F1), and AE handsets on them but those do not fit very well. The transmitter caps on those have too large a diameter which causes them to rub the housing. You'll notice that the cap on the Conn. handset is smaller.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived about a week ago, and it did not initially work because some wires were connected to the wrong terminals on the dial, and the plastic piece on the dial which moves the pulsing contacts was out of position (indicated in photo below).  I managed to put everything back in place and added a black WE line cord (the phone came with no line cord), and the phone works well now.  Dennis Markham kindly provided a dial center retaining ring which Jorge had previously given him (thank you Jorge and Dennis), and it fit perfectly into the finger wheel.  The phone is in better condition than most of the Connecticut phones that I have seen on-line, and the soft rubber handset cord is in very good shape.  The shell is thick aluminum with a glossy black painted surface, and the handset is some sort of plastic (harder than Tenite and softer than ABS).  The phone weighs a bit over five pounds.  The transmitter and receiver capsules were apparently made by Connecticut (CTE), but the transmitter looks alot like an F1.  A few date stamps show 1950.  The dial does not appear to show a manufacturer's name.  Did Connecticut make their own dials?  I am looking for an appropriate dial center card.  Here are a few pictures.  I apologize for the picture quality.  Despite the fact that I develop imaging software, I am a lousy photographer.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

It is nice to know that those dial center rings fit into a phone. For a couple of years I thought I had been taken by an ebay seller (who knew!).

The phone looks very nice. Made of aluminum, I feel sorry for pesky telemarketers that call you late at night.  ;D ;D ;D

Would you agree that it looks like a 302 under the hood?

Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

It is very similar to a 302 inside, like the way that a North Galion is similar to a 302 inside.  The parts are not WE, but they look almost like copies.  Are the internals of the regular (non-Signal Corps) Connecticut toaster phones the same as this?

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, the phone looks very nice.  That dial porcelain is in excellent condition.  I'm glad that someone finally found a use for the dial card retainer ring.  Now we know for which phone they belong. 

Very interesting telephone.  I'm sure you're glad you bought it.

rdelius

I believe that is a federal dial,mostly seen on military sets. You can make a ring off a Leith dial blank fit.
Robby