News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Going on 7 years

Started by McHeath, September 03, 2015, 12:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

QuoteThe discovery of a 49-500 at the Seattle Communication Museum: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2689.0

Yes, that was another great moment for sure! 

A personal moment for me was buying a British 706 from a fellow in Israel who shipped it to me in California, and I was then able to get help from forum members in the UK about some wiring the phone had to make it work with my POTS service.  Never would have happened 25 years ago, and probably would not have happened without this forum.

Dennis Markham

Hi everyone.  Looks like I"m a little late to the party.  It's really difficult to believe it's been seven years since the beginning of this forum.

Mr. Bones, I simply took over the forum after the originator, Mark Stevens handed it off to me maybe six months or a year after he started with it.  He had a web builder background and had a lot of irons in the fire.  Mark wasn't really into collecting telephones but quickly became interested and did a lot of research on the early phones and made blog posts about his findings.  Eventually he had the idea for the forum. I think we've discussed it here before.  The forum wasn't popular with many of the long-time collectors that participated in the two national "list-serves".  Many believed we were re-inventing the wheel but really we just enjoyed talking about our phones in a more relaxed, informal environment.  Eventually the concept took root and we started to get more and more members, many of whom are the more experienced "heavy-hitters".  You know who you are. :)

Looking back on that first month in 2008 we had over 30 new members.  That was very exciting.  Some of those are still with us too.  JorgeAmely and I had met on line via my blog site prior to the start of the forum.  Along with McHeath & Bingster, we were the first to join in with Mark Stevens.

I also think fondly of Dan Panther's phone, the purchase and then deciding what to do with it and ultimately the restoration of that model 500.  It was and still is a great addition to the collecting community.  As Briny said, Mo's picture phone was also a blast and exciting to watch those threads develop.

There have been many fun topics, a couple heated exchanges but as Bill said, we've kept it civil and respectful.  The "regular" members have changed over the years and I always hope that one day some of them will return.  I really miss hearing from Bingster.  I've tried to reach out to him but to no avail.  Perhaps he will surface when able.  Hobie Sport was a favorite too.  We have really met some nice people on this forum.

Christian, I have also been embarrassed by looking back on some of my early posts when I was beginning to learn.  That's how it goes.  The learning never stops.  We're really glad to have you aboard as well as the other younger members.  Keep hunting for "new" phones!

I am also proud of the fact that we are a global group with members from all parts of the world.  It's a good thing.

This forum would not be possible were it not for ALL OF YOU.  Without your individual enthusiasm for the hobby, the participation by uploading information and sharing stories and photos (when they will upload) the forum would not be so successful.  So thank all of you, keep up the good work!

Finally, I owe a huge thank you to our Moderators.  Most of the behind-the-scene stuff is done by our Moderators.  Terry (AE_Collector) takes care of our Finds of the Month which is a big job.  TelePlay (John) does so much I cannot begin to thank him properly.  He does the Auction Contests, as well as moderating posts and making sure things are kept on track.  All of the Moderators are a huge help and I for one really appreciate their effort.

So there's my long speech.  Thanks McHeath for bringing the anniversary to our attention. 

My best to all of you.

~Dennis

TelePlay

And this is how it all began, Topic #1, including this interesting point made by Mark Stevens in the first reply.

"With a little luck (and some time), this could turn into something! "

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1.0

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 05, 2015, 03:56:16 PM

Ben, I have also been embarrassed by looking back on some of my early posts when I was beginning to learn.  That's how it goes.  The learning never stops.  We're really glad to have you aboard as well as the other younger members.  Keep hunting for "new" phones!!

Erm, Christian... I think I need to change my profile pic or something... ::) ;D

But seriously, I think it's absolutely perfect that this forum exists! When I started collecting, my dad suggested that I join this thing called the 'rotary phone forum'. I didn't really think I needed to, but I started reading posts here (including D/P's 500 thread) and I became interested. I created a profile name similar to Ben's (probably a bad idea in the long run ;) ) and here I am!

At the time, I flip-flopped between hobbies: N-scale trains, R/C cars and boats, model cars, etc. If it weren't for this forum, my phone hobby would have only lasted about a month or so. You guys kept this happy insanity alive, and I couldn't be happier! I now have something only 2 or 3 other kids my age in the world share! This place doesn't have a formal setup like the Listservs; we have real interaction, about as real as any forum or webgroup I've ever seen!

Thanks again guys!!! :)

Christian
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dennis Markham

Sorry Christian, I did it again.  I made the correction.  Your two user names are similar in my brain and I often confuse them.

~Dennis

Sargeguy

I joined in early November of 2008, I remember it was a couple months before my daughter's birth, which is a good reminder of how old the forum is.  My favorite memory that had not been mentioned was the guy who found the Williams Electric Tap Bell subscriber set on a scrap heap:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4642.0
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

I can understand why, too.  Wow!  That was one heck of a find!