News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Auto-Com AM-73 & WE 191G(?) CL Find

Started by Doug Rose, February 26, 2018, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Sitting home, bored out of my gourd waiting for my hip replacement Wednesday I went on CL. I found a nice AE 1A with a very shiny 500 set for $40

Jan was  running errands so she picked them up for me.

Then he emailed he had a WE payphone.  He sent me a pic and I asked how much, he said $10. Well, the payphone was not as good as the other two which are close to perfect cosmetic wise.  Major Corrosion on the payphone. Nice back plane that would have held the missing subset. This guy looks like he sat outside for awhile or a wet environment.

A good instruction card that was damaged beyond repair from leakage and paint spills. JP is a part of Boston. darn!

How do I get the wood back plane off and open this to see if anything is salvageable. Lock is rusted to a mass of rusty metal.

After Wednesday surgery I'll see what I can do with it on the weekend....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Back of payphone and inside of AE 1A, some kind of intercom wires cut
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
        Auto-Com System AM 73 on the 1A , AE Catalog 4033 , 1939 , pg. 11 . It has the induction coil receiver .  SWEET !!!! Good Luck on your replacement . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

On that AE dial, does it return after dialing a number?

Larry

stub

Larry,
         It should return when the handset is placed in the cradle .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

I could not get it to return with handset in or out of Cradle, so I replaced it. I have quite a few AE dials for spares. All the wires were cut so I didn't feel it was a problem moving it out. If anyone need the original dial. PM me.

It came out fairly nice.

thanks Stub, 7:30 Weds morning. I really cannot wait!....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
          My replacement has been great for 17 or 18 yrs now .
          If we could find out the value of the impedance coil that goes in the talk circuit it would be nice to hook one up and have a 10 line intercom. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Didn't we just discuss this AE model in the last month or so? The cut wires would have simply been a cable going to the other phones on the system...common talking and selective buzzer system... I think Stub?

Terry

stub

Terry,
        Yep .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AE_Collector

So Ken...is the dial to restore when the plunger button is pushed? If so....HOW? A rod down into the base? Hook c9ntavts still in the cradle like normal? If none of that is present in Doug's Phone, maybe the dial was just put into the phone to fill the void.

What's the button on the right side of the housing? Maybe pushing it restores the dial? Or is it a "buzz again" button? Or do you turn the dial and then use the button to buzz,...maybe that's it!

Sorry for all the questions...we never had this stuff here at all.

Terry

poplar1

Coin phone looks like a 191G (late 40s). 10G key should open the upper housing. Otherwise, a big screwdriver wedged between the upper housing and lower. (That's why they added the barrel locks on 234Gs!)

If it didn't have the wooden back board, you could just remove the back, though 2 of the screws might be inserted from inside the phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Wooden backboard looks as though someone used it to supplement their firewood supply so Doug could sacrifice it on the table saw. Maybe take it with you on Wednesday Doug..., I'm sure the surgeons could practice on it.

Good luck with a speedy recovery!

Terry

Doug Rose

Thx Terry......I can't wait!  I will check the dial out tomorrow and include pics. With all the wires cut, I just got impatient with it

Thx David.... I will try to pry it open. The backplane is missing a lot.

Hopefully this weekend I can look at it.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 26, 2018, 05:56:47 PM

Thx David.... I will try to pry it open. The backplane is missing a lot.

Hopefully this weekend I can look at it.....Doug

I meant to try that only if the 10G key won't work even if you are pushing down on the upper housing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.