News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any idea what this is?

Started by Dave, March 07, 2018, 10:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I looked in the first thumbtacked post regarding ID'ing wood boxes and whatnot and didn't find anything exactly like this. It's in a local auction with a 202, and I'm bidding. I want the 202, but whatever this wooden piece is interesting too.

Any ideas based on the limited info?

Dave

Babybearjs

Its a ringer subset. was used with the candlestick phones and the 100 and 200 series phones. mine is a 315H its identical to the one pictured.
John

Dave

It's being sold with this 202 (I think it's a 202). Are these two items a natural pairing, or could they just be two disparate pieces thrown together into one lot?

Dave

HarrySmith

The "202" requires a ringer or subset, it is not a complete phone. It is called a B mount and can be wired as a 102 or 202. There are several threads here about them and the subsets.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

That's a nice pair there.
All I have read, and that's not much, indicates those may well be a natural pair.
If that is indeed a 315H.
John, you say you have a 315H. what do you have connected to it?
I just received a 40AL i am attempting to pair to my 315H.
Any wisdom you can offer ?
or anybody else for that matter...

Dave

Throwing my ignorance out there for everyone to see - Why would the box have a crank (which I thought generated the outgoing signal to the switchboard) when the phone itself has a rotary dial (which I thought pretty much replaced cranks)?

Could it be that the box predates the phone and was modified to be a ringer only?

Dave

Babybearjs

right now my 315H is not in service. its just in storage for the moment... If I do put it back in service, I might tie a 211 to it... but I'm not sure... currently, its just an extension ringer....
John

RB

good catch!
That is not the way it was prob meant to be used.
Yes, it can very well have been modified.
The crank only notified the operator you were on the line.
The dial placed the call. which was first located at the switchboard.
then later moved to the station.
It can still be used that way, if you are connecting to a LB cord board.
and may be able to be used on newer equip also, not sure.
But the crank would need to be disabled. or you would fry the board circuits.

Dave

Assuming the auction goes my way, I think I would like to install an AE Mini Network in its base, and sell the wood to someone who can appreciate it.

Dave

poplar1

Quote from: Dave on March 08, 2018, 10:01:11 AM
Throwing my ignorance out there for everyone to see - Why would the box have a crank (which I thought generated the outgoing signal to the switchboard) when the phone itself has a rotary dial (which I thought pretty much replaced cranks)?

Could it be that the box predates the phone and was modified to be a ringer only?

Dave

This looks like a "marriage" (202 and 300K/400K subset) made by some well-meaning antique dealer!

When a 202 was used with a subset that contains a hand generator, there was no dial on the phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave

We'll find out soon enough, the auction will be over Monday. I've decided no one else is going to have this. I'd like a nice old D1. I'll report back soon.

Dave

tubaman

This inspired me to dig my 400K (I think) subset from the back of a cupboard.
If it's one of those it'll look like this inside.
Weighs a ton too!
:)

Butch Harlow

Mine is a 315H. It has a 3 bar magneto and I assume its intended for local battery service. If I had another one I could set up a local intercom using some batteries. I paired my 20AL to it for ornamental purposes, but I assume that them being paired in real life is plausible. Pardon all the Pez in the background. My B1 and D1 mountings are both paired to 634A subsets. My first D1 I bought from an old Bell System tech, he had all the provenance of its history, having removed it from service himself in 1971. I got it paired with the 634. I love the sound of the bells in the 634. Of course, I love the sound of just about any 80+year old bells I get to work. Western Electric built 'em to run forever. I wish they made cars.
Butch Harlow

Dave

Quote from: Butch Harlow on March 11, 2018, 12:08:27 PM
If I had another one I could set up a local intercom using some batteries. . . .

I'll see what I can do to help you out. I'll put new pictures here after I bring it home.

Dave

Never mind.

The package of 3 phones (it also included a black 2500) went for $215. If I wanted to bid again it would have been $225 and assuming it stopped there add a $22.50 buyer's premium and you have almost $250. That seems high for these three particular pieces. Wouldn't you agree?