"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CAT 3 Specs and data Transfer

Started by Babybearjs, January 11, 2019, 01:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 11, 2019, 11:45:25 PM
thanks Guys! here's some stats for you...
]
Stats don't matter unless the cable is run to the same standard as the spec.
JMO,
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

:o Oh really??? OK then... how about runs less than 100 feet? would that work?
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 12, 2019, 01:13:45 AM
:o Oh really??? OK then... how about runs less than 100 feet? would that work?
Why would distance matter? If you don't meet end-to-end spec, you don't meet end-to-end spec. Data Spec does not matter for your telephone system. Only for your data port.
You are running an electro-mechanical switch. Not Data.
From the electrical standpoint of your set, wire is wire.  straight pairs are fine.
JMO,
JImS.
You live, You learn,

Babybearjs

:D well almost... like I said, I have a DATA PORT connected to some CAT3 cable... so, since the specs meet the speed, then I should be able to use Cat3 on DATA TRANSMISSION... I system only transmits 100Bps. so Cat3 will work..
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 12, 2019, 03:31:39 AM
:D well almost... like I said, I have a DATA PORT connected to some CAT3 cable... so, since the specs meet the speed, then I should be able to use Cat3 on DATA TRANSMISSION... I system only transmits 100Bps. so Cat3 will work..
Correct, Cat 3 is fine for your application
Jim
You live, You learn,

Key2871

John, I rewired the building I worked at after a fire destroyed most of it. I told my boss, who knew I could wire and program his phone system to his needs.
I used all cat 5 for everything. Including data, when I ran the data lines I read up on how best to run those and not compromise the speed of the cable. There was a data port at seven locations through out the building. I purchased towers for the data lines to clip onto, versus using a staple gun to secure wires. Because I found out if you use a staple gun it could affect the speed of the data in those lines, and some runs were about fifty feet. So I did everything to spec and never had a problem with any part of what I did. Everything worked just as it should, and I got complimented by a internet tech who looked it over, as well as the code officer who had to inspect all aspects of the buildings construction. So yes wire needs to be run and connected to spec or it's not going to work as its supposed to.
Simple as that. I did have to rework one port in shipping, because they wanted the computer at a different location then what was originally planned. I did one wire wrong on the port Jack, and it messed it up. So I found my problem and repaired it, and it still works today.

Ken
KEN