News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring for a Western Electric 534R ringer box

Started by Jf510, January 15, 2015, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

Thanks for the advice on my last ringer box. That one had me a bit confused but this one really has me stumped. I want to wire a 4 wire cord from a Western Electric 202 and I can't figure this one out. I am also not even sure if the existing wires are in the correct location. I tried to find info on a 534R but with no luck. This one has that second sets of terminal that I have not seen on other 534's which I was able to wire. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sargeguy

I have not rewired one of these but I have rewired some funky subsets.  In general try wiring it like a 534-A and take any extra wires and attach them somewhere where they are isolated from the circuit, such as an extra terminal.  This one looks fairly straightforward because the wires in the harness still retain their original colors so it should be fairly easy to trace them back to their source.  Otherwise use a multimeter to test continuity.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Your topic title says 534F, but the post says 534R.

The 534-R has a high impedance ringer; otherwise it is wired the same as a 534A. It does not require battery terminals or batteries.
The 534-YD has battery connections. The battery was used on long loops to boost the transmitter.

If you rewired the subset as a 534-A, then you would use a 3-conductor mounting cord from the 202 to the subset. The black conductor in the mounting cord would be taped and stored on the subset end.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

opps sorry..the bottom does say 534R. I bought these boxes from the wife of a repair guy that passed away so I am assuming that the letter is correct to the guts of the box. I had no problem in wiring other 534's but this one got me confused. I will try again to ignore the extra leads and also try a 3 lead from the 202 not using the black.

unbeldi

I surmise that the repair man did some work himself on this subset.

Someone either beautified the set with a 46B induction coil or installed a terminal board that belonged on a local battery subscriber set.  Western Electric would have removed all duplicate terminals and those that would not be used from the terminal board, e.g., the battery terminals don't belong in here, as well as the second L1 terminal.

I see there are spade tips on both L1 points.

Jf510

Those extra leads did throw me and the 2 L1's and then the GN was below.