News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Joined the Panasonic 616 club

Started by zaphod01, December 21, 2013, 05:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Did a quick check of heating in my 616. Placed it on end (upright) on the middle of my work bench and turned it on, no phones attached and doing nothing but idling. Using a digital IR thermometer, I checked the temperature of the unit at the top, middle and bottom back vents. The bottom vent remained at room temperature. The middle vent went 1 to 2 degrees over ambient in 5 minutes and the top vent went to 3 degrees over ambient in 5 minutes. After 10 minutes, the bottom vent was still at ambient but the middle vents rose to 3 degrees over ambient and the top vent stayed the same, 3 degrees over ambient.

Laid it down with the cover/door up, opened the cover and checked the temperature at the vents over the power supply (to the left of the power switch in the middle of the unit) and the vents below those that ran across the bottom of the unit. The temperature over the power supply was 10 degrees over ambient and the vents below those were 2 to 3 degrees over ambient. If the unit were to be used horizontally with the solid cover/door closed, heat would buildup under the cover/door since there are no vents in the middle of the cover/door for the heat to escape.

When the 616 was standing up, I did a smoke check to see if there were any convection air currents. The air movement in the room was greater than if there was any within the 616. I could feel warmth over the top but could not see air flow in the smoke.

unbeldi

That seems quite right.  3 degrees probably can't be detected by hand on the case.
These boxes are designed to operate in up to 40 degrees C in the environment.  And there is probably some good margin in that too. So, at 40C externally, it's definitely a bit hotter inside the case.

If I recall, the KX-T1232's are more sensitive to position, putting out a lot more heat.

zaphod01

Got a KX-T7130 for $31. Described as like new. Not sure why the guy had a auction ending at mid-day on Christmas Eve but it seemed to work in my favor. I considered it an extra present from Santa!
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Weco355aman

Ext jack 11 must work to program the system.
Phil