and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any alternative for the Panasonic 616?

Started by Spanish_phones, September 09, 2014, 11:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on September 10, 2014, 08:08:44 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on September 10, 2014, 07:02:51 PM
When you say, "616" which version do you have?  The first version KX-T616 ?
I know there was one version of the "616" that did have it, not V2 and not V3.
The version number is usually indicated in a circle after the model number on the identification plate.

There was a pretty good discussion of the 616 started by twocvbloke about a year and a half ago.

The "Circle 2" and "Circle 3" seemed to refer to the version of the code used to do advanced programming of the 616 features, the "2" being the earlier and the "3" being the latest, and last.

If used in the basic mode, take out the battery to reset it back to factory settings, both the 2 and 3 worked the same, I seem to remember.

There are minor programming differences, but the circuit boards are also somewhat different internally. Many of repeating circuit groups for the extensions and CO lines were previously on little separate boards soldered to the main boards vertically, while in the third revision these were integrated into the main board. Apparently it is cheaper to do it all on one board than to use a modular approach.

The battery trick works indeed for both if you don't have one of the proprietary phones. The operation is the same for them all.

unbeldi

Quote from: xhausted110 on September 10, 2014, 06:02:49 PM

the 616 does not have an amphenol connector. it is also RJ11. the 1232 (which I have) uses 4 amphenols for 32 extensions, the CO lines are RJ11.

I pulled out the manual for the KX-T616, the first version and it does have the Amphenol connector in addition to the RJ11 jacks.

Picture from the manual attached...

Doug Rose

I thought it was an either or with the 616. Either it was modular or it was and amp to RJ66. I have never seen both on a 616. I have always cautioned members to make sure it was modular.

Enclosed is a users guide if anyone might need one. ....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 14, 2014, 07:11:16 AM
I thought it was an either or with the 616. Either it was modular or it was and amp to RJ66. I have never seen both on a 616. I have always cautioned members to make sure it was modular.

Enclosed is a users guide if anyone might need one. ....Doug

Well, I don't have a unit of the first generation, which is also the one I don't have the schematics for, I believe, so I can only go by the user manuals, which I have for all the US versions that I know of, but there are also national variations for UK, Europe, Russia, it appears, and more I am sure, but I don't know the hardware differences.
Personally, I wish they all had the Amphenol connectors in addition to the individual jacks.

But the original question was about OTHER alternatives, and all I can say that I am sure they exist. Probably all of the large Japanese electronics companies produced PBXes and I would think most until the  earlier 1990s would have supported standard analog telephones.  I would look at Toshiba, Fujitsu, NEC, Hitachi... but I have no specific knowledge of systems.