News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlesticks, 50al, Swedish American

Started by wds, August 17, 2011, 12:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up a couple candlesticks.  One is an Swedish American - wasn't packed very well, and the receiver is destroyed.  Still might be a keeper.  I haven't decided if it's cute or just plain ugly.  I'll post better pictures when I've had a chance to clean it up a little.

Second is a 50 AL.  The patent dates were intriguing - The newest date is Jan 1 18.  Usually they are May 7 18, or even Sept 21 20.  Is this uncommon to have the Jan 1 18 date?  Is this one a keeper?  
Dave

old_phone_man

It's a Keeper!!!

I have one with the same date stampings only mine is on the back side (see picture below) where yours looks like it is on the side.

I understood that Western Electric would stamp these early bases, May 7 18 and Jan 1 18 on the front, side and back. 

I always figured that the early ones with the Jan 1 18 date were always stamped on the back whereas the May 7 18 dates were on the front or side but it looks like you found a Jan 1 18 date stamped on the side.

Way to Go!

LarryInMichigan

Dave,

You have quite a collection!  I can't hold a candlestick to you ;D

I always implore sellers to wrap the receiver separately, telling them that it will most likely break if they do not, and most comply.

Larry

wds

I love those candlesticks.  The patent date is on the right side, as your looking at the phone.  I didn't realize they rotated the placement of the patents.  And I thought I had a one of a kind.......  The phone also came with a type 2 #2 dial - it has the "Western Electric Made in USA Pat APP For" on the front instead of the patent dates.  The number plate has been switched out for one with a notch, but they used a nice Celluloid plate.  Overall, I think it's a good one to add to my collection. 

The Swedish American - the receiver was in pieces when it arrived.  Definitely bad packing, but after looking it over, I think it was broken before it was shipped.  It looked like it had been glued together - something the seller should have disclosed. 

Two more nice candlesticks!  Need to slow down - candlesticks are expensive!
Dave

old_phone_man

The older #2 dial just makes it that much sweeter!

wds

Here's a couple updated pictures of the Swedish American candlestick.  The entire stick is made out of steel, not brass, so the nickel plating has worn off of the transmitter cup.  Faceplate cleaned up real nice.  The paint looks original also.  I like how both of the wires to the transmitter enter through the outside of the cup.  Wish I had more information about this candlestick.
Dave