News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rose Beige Independent Metal 302??

Started by Doug Rose, December 02, 2019, 03:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have had this for awhile, I bought it it a group of phones earlier. Seller was adamant that it was Rose Beige, sold to the Independents that is why it has a Western Electric No Bell System F1, and a SC dial.

I love the story, not sure I believe it. Opinions? ....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

My first thought is re-builder/re-seller.  There were companies doing that.
The following is what I would look for if it was my phone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it beige on metal, or beige on black?
Beige on metal is more likely original.

What color is inside  handset?
Brown is probably factory. black is less likely.

Is the handset marked WE or Bell?
WE markings would be independent. Bell is typically Bell property. "2nd hand Bell" sometimes sold off outdated equipment
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do the date somewhat match. Matching dates of the WE parts would help the story.

Mismatched WE dates, beige  on a black Bell handset and beige over a black housing all together would make me say re-builder.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some of the clues I would look for,
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andre_janew

I've heard that the 302 sets sold to the independents has F-1A on the handsets.

rdelius

I agree this is a refurb , not for a telephone company but for retail sale by catalogs such as Hellen Carter? .  not sure of  the name but they sold these telephones before it was legal to install your own telephone.Note the painted SC dial. Independant WE handsets were F1W

SUnset2

I've got one just like it but with a Western Electric dial.  I've also had it for a long time.  I figured it was probably a refurb, but it was relatively cheap.