"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grey, Gray, or Grrayy!

Started by Babybearjs, December 31, 2014, 06:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 03, 2015, 12:27:36 PM
I have a feeling this phone is going to turn into a 2-tone phone like the green one I have.... black and gray....

I am curious to know, why does it have to change? It looks pretty clean outside and represents what has happened to many phones (and people!), a makeover.   Not all were fortunate enough to stay looking "original".
Careful polishing of the paint might make it look very sharp. Paint usually polishes very nicely.

Some people paint their phones and others take the paint off....

Babybearjs

its mainly the cordage. The phone should be here on Monday, but from what I can make out, both the receiver and line cords are green. its a mismatch... as far as the dial goes, it should be black, or at least a #6 dial with a clear fingerwheel. on the 2 tone phones both the dial, cordage and receiver are always black... its a design style thing....
John

Babybearjs

well, I got the phone today. was in good condition. disassembled it, cleaned the shell and base. reassembled it. cleaned the dial and oiled it... amazing how time has a way of making things stiff... took some pictures of the phone, which didn't come out... except one... replaced the plug with a modular jack.... tested it-works great- and now, I have a gray 302 in my collection.... and yes... the handset cord and line cord are green...but no big deal.... but now comes a question..... the wires in the cords are RED, BLK, WHT... who made it? did W.E. or someone else. the cord are custom, but I've never seen R/B/W wires... always G/R/Y.   so who made the wire?? Belkin?? there are so many manufactures out there... it could have been anyone.... I'll try to post better pictures of the phone later. but for now, here a closeup of the inside of the shell...before I washed it.
John

Babybearjs

since no has answered my question, then I guess its up to me to figure out..... they used the same wire for both cords.... B/R/W- receiver cordage.... should have guessed!
John

unbeldi

Many third-party vendors made and still make cordage for telecommunications equipment. That can be bought terminated or in bulk. Looks like the artist here used the same bulk cordage for both, handset and mounting cord.

Since it's not the same color and not original, you might consider painting the cords gray.  Even Western Electric is known to have painted many cords at times.  There are paints available that are specially formulated for adhesion on flexible plastic surfaces. I have received cords that were painted and I couldn't tell the difference until I examined the ends of the insulation under magnification.

Babybearjs

well, for now... I'll leave it alone. I have come to the phone is a "Gray-Green" which was a color available at the time... but the phone was customized. I got my 162 selector which is on another thread... so lets switch to that for awhile!
John