News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Glass Fire Extinguisher

Started by AL_as_needed, July 22, 2016, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

I know at least one of us on here has to collect these.

On the job this last week we are in the process of saving a house from termites, part of this requires a lot of re-framing in the basement. Up in the ceiling I found a few old glass fire extinguishers, most were missing the glass vile, one still had it intact and full. From what I observe there is a heat sensitive spring that punches a hole in the glass when there is a fire(?).

Anyone have any experience with these?
TWinbrook7

rdelius

They were filled with carbon tetrachloride.The 1800s vintage ones are expensive

Jim Stettler

In the mid 1980's I saw them in old houses in Chicago. Most were intact and in the attics. I was told that if you break one hold your breath and get out because some of them used some nasty chemicals.

I also knew a fireman who had dozens of different ones hanging from the ceiling in his office.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AL_as_needed

Yes, I was told similar cautionary tales by some of co-workers. Finally got an "ok" picture of it, inside on the metal mounting bracket it say "Automatic Fire Extinguisher and Alarm Company", based in Chicago I do believe. Were these the type you saw too Jim?
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

No. The main ones I saw were probably pint and quart size "balls" with the nipple end, typically clear vs frosted glass. Ussually red liquid but sometimes other colors. I think the colors may represent the type of chemical in the device.

I did find one that said you could knock off the nipple and sprinkle the liquid on a fire or throw it on the fire. 

I think the ones I saw in use were probably newer than the photo.

The more interesting thing is probably the hangers. I saw a variety of hanger designs and actuators to break the glass( mainly in the collection). Some of the hangers are quite ornate.

JMO,
Jim S.

BTW the first fire suppression systems were barrels of water mounted in the rafters of factories. The actuator was a stick of dynamite with a long fuse down to the floor. This type of system would be considered a "deluge" system.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Mr. Bones

Super-Cool stuff that I have never, ever even heard of!!!

I guess that comes from growing up in tinytown, USA!  ;) In our defense, we did have the one stoplight, on HWY 69, but it just blinked 24/7. ;) (And yes, in answer to any potential queries, I can / do play the banjo). In fact, I was 3rd chair banjo in our High School Orchestra, lol!

>Okay just kidding about that part, but you get the flavor of where I done comed from...

Thanks for sharing, and the enlightenment. Maybe I'll develop a new wrinkle, or summat'. Let's hope, eh?

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Mr. Bones on July 23, 2016, 04:35:58 PM
I guess that comes from growing up in tinytown, USA!  ;) In our defense, we did have the one stoplight, on HWY 69, but it just blinked 24/7. ;)
It sounds like you grew up in Radiator Springs! ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

I remember each of the filling stations in town had red comet branded extinguishers.  I had almost forgot about them when I saw the movie Fireman Save My Child with Joe E. Brown on TCM.  He played a baseball player/ volunteer fireman who invented a similar extinguisher.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke