News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting NOS? 1964 1500 on eBay

Started by TelePlay, June 13, 2016, 09:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Seller claims NOS. Looks like it but even though it may be NOS, the passage of time can be seen on the neoprene feet. The bottom view and even a side view shows the cracking. Seems good storage can not stop the chemical reaction of out-gassing on the mounting rivets and the metal surrounding each foot.

Priced a bit high? Or going to get that or more?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Green-1500-10-button-desk-phone-NOS-MINT-marked-3-64-/252423207857

Seller description:  " Pictured is a Western Electric 1500 10 button desk phone in green. The plastics have no cracks, chips, scratches, or fade, and are molded in color, not painted....this is show quality.  This phone was built 3/64, a very early build date for this first year model.  I purchased this 10 or 15 years ago from a collector. It was still in its original box and has never been installed.( box deteriorated years ago) I only recently hooked it up for testing. It has been factory stamped in many places. This beauty works perfectly, it dials out and the bells ring indicating an incoming call. The call you will place or receive will be clear and without static. Please check out the pictures closely to judge the condition of this phone for yourself. Housing, base, touch tone dial, network, handset caps and elements are all marked 3/64. The bells are marked 1/64"

Jim Stettler

Way overpriced  in my opinion. It is early, If all the dates matched and he still had a good dated box, and no outgassing on the feet, it would still be overpriced.

JMO,
Jiim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Relisted @$350 opening bid (no bids), $300 (no bids), and $300 (ended early by seller).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

I don't recall Western ever having used a "black" trim escutcheon for a 1500 or 2500 touch tone telephone dial pad on sets that were a made in either the dark green, or moss green color.   Any that I've seen, used a lighter green trim around the T/T dial pad.    Example below (W.E. 2504-BM Set).

Jeff Lamb

poplar1

Early 1500s had charcoal (dash 70) color face plates regardless of housing co!or.
The 1963-1964 faceplates did not have a detachable window for the number card. Rather, the card was inserted on the back of the face plate

jsowers

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on November 13, 2016, 11:03:59 AM
I don't recall Western ever having used a "black" trim escutcheon for a 1500 or 2500 touch tone telephone dial pad on sets that were a made in either the dark green, or moss green color.   Any that I've seen, used a lighter green trim around the T/T dial pad.    Example below (W.E. 2504-BM Set).

Here's an Illinois Bell brochure dated 4/64 on the back that shows the charcoal gray faceplates of the early 1500s.
Jonathan

Ktownphoneco

I didn't know that.    But I do now !     Thanks to both of you for that information.

Jeff

poplar1

Ktownphoneco

That is totally different from what I thought was a "standard" number card receptacle.   I've never seen that style, or I may have seen it, but if it had a number card installed, I probably didn't notice the method that was used.   I'll be paying closer attention in the future.    There's a clear plastic window incorporated into that opening.    Correct ?
Thanks for showing that to me.   It completes the explanation. 

Jeff

poplar1

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on November 13, 2016, 02:37:59 PM
That is totally different from what I thought was a "standard" number card receptacle.   I've never seen that style, or I may have seen it, but if it had a number card installed, I probably didn't notice the method that was used.   I'll be paying closer attention in the future.    There's a clear plastic window incorporated into that opening.    Correct ?
Thanks for showing that to me.   It completes the explanation. 

Jeff

All of the "back painted" "ribbed" faceplates are clear plastic, like the one on the clear 2500 shown in a recent topic. The entire face is clear; it's the paint on the back that gives the faceplate its color. The one pictured here doesn't have a rectangular window with a pin hole for removing it. That may be the reason for having the shiny metal tab (attached to the housing) that allowed removal of the entire faceplate, in order to add the number card without opening the phone. The black metal piece presses the card toward the front of the faceplate.

Ktownphoneco

That was an oversight on my part ( I call them senior's moments).    I do know they were painted, namely because I painted one not too long ago.   So yes, that would, or at least should make the entire trim plate a one piece unit, except for the spring or metal tab you mentioned, and which is shown in the picture, and holds the number card in place.
Good.    Now I'm fully up to speed.   Thanks again for clearing all of that up for me.

Jeff