News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My GPO 300's bell rings when I dial out...

Started by Jakemm06, November 23, 2017, 04:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakemm06

I took my lovely GPO 300 series phone apart to clean it and to try and buff up the bakelite. I removed everything and unattached the rotary dial and mechanism. When I put it back together it now rings slightly when I dial. Any ideas what could be causing it? When putting it back together I found a stray black wire... If anyone can help me shed any light on the issue it would be much appreciated! If you would like pictures I can take the phone apart again and take some, just let me know :)

Many thanks in advance,

Martin

P.S. Sorry for the repost, I have had trouble editing and attaching the images that were requested.

ThePillenwerfer

That 'phone is not a GPO 300 series.  It's an Indian one, albeit fitted with a GPO dial.  It also looks to have been messed around with — the original terminal block has been replaced with 'choc-block' wire connectors, one of the terminal screws on the dial is missing and a further three are replacements and I can't see any sign of the capacitors, not that they matter if it's configured to be connected by three wires. 

Much more worrying is the lack of an induction coil.  Telephones can be used without one but they don't work nearly as well as they should and because DC is constantly passing through the receiver it's likely to get de-magnetised.

For details on this model see: http://britishtelephones.com/iti.htm

andy1702

I agree, that phone has been butchered by someone. It may well have been done in India before it left as thats is typical of Indian 'engineering'.

Just for the record, genuine GPO 300 series phones have the internals mounted inside the phone, not on the base plate. If anything other than a small draw is mounted on the baseplate, then it's not a genuine GPO phone.

As for getting this one going again... parts for these often come up on E-bay. If you need any help then drop me a message. I've got a couple of these somewhere, so i can take a complete one apart and take some photos if you need them.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Babybearjs

I learned along time ago about the polarity issues with some ringers... AE phones were notorious for "Bell Tapping" when you would dial out... I would reverse the ringer wires at the line connection and that would fix the problem... I also happened when you had 2 different brand phones on the same line... that's one reason I went totally over to just western electric phones....
John