"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does this dial mechanism look right??

Started by tommycam, February 27, 2021, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommycam

Hello All,
I bought this phone and the only issue is that the volume is affected by the dial. The dial tone is low but if you just flick the dial a little, the volume is perfect.
My other phones have a different look for the dial mechanism. They have a five pronged metal piece with a six sided screw. It looks like this was repaired. I attached a photo for review.

RB

Hi Tommy.
The dial looks ok???... no wizard, but I would turn it over, and look closely at the switches.
I would suspect maybe a switch is adjusted too close, and is not closing completely.
They should have a slight wiping action when closing/opening.
Or maybe not opening completely

tommycam

Hey RB,

Thank you for the response!

I'll attach a photo of the back of the dial. There is a piece on top that is tacked down. I'm not sure how much I can do with it.

Key2871

There are pulse switches, and there are shunt switches. The white leads connect to the shunt to dampen the pulse noise (clicks) generated when dialing.
If those don't open when the dial comes to rest then that will also give a low dial tone in the handset.
So carefully look at the finger that closes and opens the contacts again, when the dial comes to rest and tweak slightly that finger that controls those contacts that go with the white wires to make sure the open when the dial rests. That should solve the problem.
KEN

tommycam

Scott

I am going to agree with Key2871. There is a thread where I talk about the same problem I had with a princess phone and how is was fixed. If I find it I will post it.

Regards,
Scott K.

Key2871

Every dial has shunt contacts, Rotary, or Tone.
Obviously tone dials are a bit harder to find as there are so many. But there has been times when the receiver element have been the problem. But by moving the dial slightly this one is clear, the dial shunt has to be adjusted slightly.
KEN

tommycam

Thank you guys.

I haven't had a chance to work on it this morning, but I'll try to get to it this afternoon.

Appreciate the help.
Tom

poplar1

Since, in this case, bumping the dial seems to momentarily remove the shunt, the problem is probably shorted contacts associated with the 2 white dial conductors.

However, in general, it is probably better to temporarily remove one of the white dial wires from the network (on terminal R or GN) before attempting to adjust or clean the contacts. That is because the red and black switch hook wires also short the receiver when hanging up.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tommycam

I thought I had it. The dial tone was at it's normal level.

But when I dialed 1, it got low again. I tweaked the dial and the volume came back.

Poplar, thank you and I will  try it again with your suggestion.

Key2871

It sounds like something is either sticking or the contact needs to be cleaned.
You could try using a sliver of a business card to burnish the contacts to clean them see if that helps.

But it's a good point to try disconnecting one of the shunt leads to make sure the sound remains the same, if you dial just don't have the handset to your ear, or very loud clicks will be heard.
KEN

tommycam

I think I got it, but I have to do more testing.

I attached a photo of the piece that holds the whole dial piece (dial and numbers) up on the inside and it is different from the others I have seen. I realized when putting the shell on that the piece is loose.

Thank you all again!!
Tom

PS- I have a trimline that is giving me a problem, but I want tinker with it and try on my own before I post it.

Key2871

That looks like an older mount for the dial, the newer ones the dial drops in and you just tighten the
Screws to hold the dial. But I don't see where the dial mount would have anything to do with the original issue.
KEN

tommycam