News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 quirks

Started by Dan/Panther, January 11, 2009, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have an Automatic Electric 40 Monophone hooked up on my desk, and a couple things I've noticed aren't quite right.
I was talking on the phone earlier, and I have a habit of once in awhile reaching up and turning the dial just so people can hear it, when I explain what it was they get a kick out of it.
Well with my WE500 and 302's it's not  aproblem, but with the A.E. it switched me to the other line which would be call waiting. I pushed the cradle plunger and got back to my call, I've not had this happen before.

One more thing, it doesn't happen all the time, but again with the A.E. if I pick up the receiver and push the plunger quickly and let it go, once in awhile, The ringer will give a slight ring, doesn't do it every time, sounds like a cap is hold a charge.
Sounds like I have a couple wires crossed somewhere.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

Well, the "flash" button on a telephone to switch to the other line is equivalent to tapping the hook switch or dialing a 1, so I'm not surprised that this happens. I'd consider it normal behavior. In fact, when I'm on a rotary phone and get another call, I generally just do dial a 1 to switch lines.

Try switching the ringer wires around and seeing if it will remedy the bell tapping. That's being discussed in this thread that's running on the general forum right now

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=476.0

McHeath

QuoteSounds like I have a couple wires crossed somewhere.

D/P

Ah yes, exactly.   ;)