News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Second 302: Junk or Jewel

Started by winkydink, January 13, 2009, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

As I stated before, I am opening up a new thread so I can discuss a second WE 302 phone that I have.

I have learned a great deal on this forum.  One of those things was the dating of parts and a FrankenPhone vs a phone with matching dates.

As it so happens, I was examining my junker/parts phone a little while ago, when I made a discovery.  It seems that ALL the parts are dated December 1947.  The shell, the ringer, the induction coil, the base, even the transmitter and receiver in the handset.

The Dates are as follows:

Dial:  12-47  (Type 5H)
Induction Coil: IV 47 (4Q 1947)
Ringer:  12-47
Receiver: 12-47
Transmitter: 12 3 47
Shell: 12 2 47

I just hooked up a new mounting cord and connected it to an outlet and I was able to get a dial tone, dail out and have good sound.

The major downfall to this set is as follows

• There is a crack in the shell in the front right corner
  • I am missing the 2 ringer bells
  • I am missing 2 screws to the dialer
  • the handset cord needs to be replaced

The big question is how unusual is it to have matching dates for all components in a phone.  Even with the crack (photos coming) is it worth keeping this phone together?

I have several photos of the phone including one that shows the crack.  The picture is deceiving as the crack does not go above the first lip (I think).  Is this something that I can possibly glue and sand so it is less noticable?

If it is worth keeping together, then I will (probably would anyway) go and buy another junker 302 for parts etc.  If it is not that unusual, I may just use it as a parts phone.

benhutcherson

It's not overly unusual to find a date matching phone, but then it's not exactly common either. If I were you, I'd keep that one together-it looks good enough to make it worthwhile.

If you have a local real hardware store(not Home Depot or Lowes), take the phone in, and they should have all of the screws you're missing for very little-I imagine that you can get everything for under $2 total, if not under $1.

Old Phone works has the correct gongs for $5.99 a pair. http://www.oldphoneworks.com/bells-for-b1-ringer.html

Dennis Markham has posted on here before about how to repair case cracks. Basically, what you do is clean it, then bathe it in superglue. Use a rubber band to hold it tight overnight, then wet sand and polish to a shine.

Dennis Markham

Ben, I think keeping this phone is sound advice.  Like you said, it's not "rare" like they say on eBay, or uncommon to find a phone of this vintage that hasn't had parts replaced somewhere along the line, but I'd say if you found one or two out of ten phones you'd be doing good.

The screws for the dial are 4-36 X 3/8 round head machine screws.  I can go to my local ACO and buy one or as many as I need.  Like Ben said, if you go to Home Depot or the like you have to buy a whole box.

The gongs from Oldphoneworks come with the screws needed to attach them.  Check eBay as there are often ringers for sale there that may be cheaper once you consider shipping.

Sargeguy

I think the parts phone is more interesting than your first phone.  I would put it aside for a rainy day.  You may find a 1947 model with no dial or coil, just the ringer in a pristine case next week.  I wouldn't buy a "parts" phone.  Just buy the phones you want, and one of them will turn into a parts phone all by itself.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu

there is a thread before in eBay in which the seller sells various bells, transmitters and receiver and other WE parts at a bargain price

Dennis Markham

This is another reason for joining one (or both) of the phone clubs (ATCA/TCI).   Members often offer parts for sale at reasonable prices.  Also with such a huge membership one can post a request for something and generally get an immediate response.  There are a bunch of seasoned telephone collectors with basements, garages, etc., full of parts that they have long forgotten about and often willing to sell.  I've seen members offer up parts and pieces for trade or even just for the cost of shipping just to clear their clutter.

http://atcaonline.com/

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 13, 2009, 10:39:44 PM
This is another reason for joining one (or both) of the phone clubs (ATCA/TCI).   Members often offer parts for sale at reasonable prices.  Also with such a huge membership one can post a request for something and generally get an immediate response.  There are a bunch of seasoned telephone collectors with basements, garages, etc., full of parts that they have long forgotten about and often willing to sell.  I've seen members offer up parts and pieces for trade or even just for the cost of shipping just to clear their clutter.

http://atcaonline.com/

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/

I was thinking about doing this anyway, but I will look into this further over the next several days.  Thanks.

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 13, 2009, 09:37:18 PM

The screws for the dial are 4-36 X 3/8 round head machine screws.  I can go to my local ACO and buy one or as many as I need.  Like Ben said, if you go to Home Depot or the like you have to buy a whole box.

The gongs from Oldphoneworks come with the screws needed to attach them.  Check eBay as there are often ringers for sale there that may be cheaper once you consider shipping.

Over the next several days I will try to locate the dial screws locally.  As it turns out, I already have a set of gongs that I can use.  I had purchased a 534A subset that had a 302 ringer in it.  I have since replaced those with the correct ringer for that subset.  Thus I can use the gongs for this project.

Upon closer examination of the ringer bracket on the base, I found that one of the rivets is gone and the bracket moves a little. 

In an earlier post, I indicated that I had never done any riveting, but if I were to do it how hard would it be?  I have looked on line and it does not look very hard.  Is there a specific size or type of rivet to use, or should I just eyeball it.

Dennis, I had asked this before, but in your step by step 302 refurb on your web page (the one with pictures), you had indicated that you cleaned up the ringer brackets and then replaced the rubber gaskets with rubber washers.  Question:  Did you remove the rivets, clean up the brackets and then re-rivet the bracket back into the base ?

winkydink

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 13, 2009, 09:40:52 PM
I think the parts phone is more interesting than your first phone.  I would put it aside for a rainy day.  You may find a 1947 model with no dial or coil, just the ringer in a pristine case next week.  I wouldn't buy a "parts" phone.  Just buy the phones you want, and one of them will turn into a parts phone all by itself.

...or a cold and snowy day.  The forecast for Central PA over the next few days is snow with lows around zero and wind chills of -20 F.

Dennis Markham

No, I did not remove vivets.  I don't have the proper equipment to replace them.  So I just did the best I could to clean up the base.  I used small rubber O-rings to replace the dried up rubber that had been around those posts.  I just went to my local hardware store and picked up a couple of different sizes (plumbing dept) until I got the ones I thought would fit best.  It's not crucial but I wanted to keep the ringer from rattling around inside the phone.  They worked perfectly.

winkydink

Pan head screw for the dial

I have looked locally for the screws (many phone calls etc.)  I have seen on ebay a few auctions for 4-36 x 3/8.  like the following

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-36-machine-screws-for-antique-brass-postal-doors-200x_W0QQitemZ320331809390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Safes_Locks_Locksmith_Gear?hash=item320331809390&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318  ( dead link 1/28/19 - no screen capture of the listing attached - no image(s) attached )

Even though this about 198 more than I need right now, I am willing to bite the bullet and buy in quantity and then have them around when the need arises.

Will these fit the bill ?

Dennis Markham

Those don't look like the right ones.  I think the listing says 4-36 X 3/16 not 3/8.

If you cannot find them from your local hardware, send me a pm and I can send you what you need.

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 15, 2009, 09:55:25 AM
Those don't look like the right ones.  I think the listing says 4-36 X 3/16 not 3/8.

If you cannot find them from your local hardware, send me a pm and I can send you what you need.

Thanks Dennis - I did not notice the 3/16..   I misread.

Dan/Panther

WnkyDink;
How much did you pay for the phone ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

winkydink

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 15, 2009, 02:49:47 PM
WnkyDink;
How much did you pay for the phone ?
D/P

$ 19.99 [$9.99 + $10.00 shipping]